Belford Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hummel83
Trip Reports (0)

Belford Conditions

Post by Hummel83 »

does anyone know the conditions of belford or the trail heads...do you know if snowshoes will be required crampons
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Re: Belford Conditions

Post by SarahT »

As of a few weeks ago you could get to within 3.1 miles of the summer TH. After these latest storms that may no longer be the case and it could be as much as 4 miles but the road is usually tracked. Beyond that, snowshoes for sure. No crampons typically needed.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Looking at the report of Huron from early this month from dancesatmoonrise,

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7685

he said he had to park 8 miles from Winfield. Vicksburg, which is near the turnoff for the Belford trail is 3-4 miles from Winfield. Taking into account the storm from last weekend, there is a good 2' more of snow to ford through now for that area. Once you make it there, the belford trail below treeline is almost relentless as it continues up. To make this in a day round trip, you would first of all need 3-4 folks cutting trail. Last weekend at Shavano (just down the street) we were up to our waists many times even with snowshoes. If you make it above treeline, you will end up in Missouri gulch with steep slopes on all slides. (Happy Avalanche). The belford main trail that follows up the ridge will probably be too risky first because you have to cross the main gulley from the top and second because it is steep and avy prone. If it were me, I would stay up the missouri trail and not turn off at the belford main and continue up the valley to the top of elk or elkhead pass. Turn left there and you should have a class 1 ridge hike to the top. No crampons should be necessary, snowshoes will be a must, axe not necessary but I don't snow climb without it. One last thing, the trail below treeline can be avy prone too because the trees have a decent spread and cannot be counted on for anchors.

If you go, let us know what you find.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I was just up Belford 2 weeks ago, below is my TR. Unfortunately with all the recent snow it is probably obsolete at this time. We were able to drive .9 miles from the typical winter closure, but I don't think that will be the case any longer. You will likely be starting 4 miles from the summer trailhead, basically just past the entrance to the Clear Creek Ranch where the plows turnaround. The road is frequented by snowmobiles in winter so you may have a nice packed down track to follow for these first 4 miles to the parking lot.

Beyond the trailhead we had a broken trail on the summer trail, but unless people have been up after this latest round of snows, it will likely be pretty well filled in and require you to re-break. Even with the broken trail we need snowshoes for flotation or we would have been punching through on our steps, so I highly recommend bringing them. We left the snowshoes at the base of the ridge (12,100'-ish) and did not need them or crampons to ascend the ridge to the summit.

Hope that is helpful, but with all the recent snows over the last 2 weeks you probably won't be able to benefit from the existing "trench" too much.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

I haven't sought the advice of a psychiatrist yet on why I'm so attracted to this incredible suffering... :roll:

A few of us have been kicking around Oxford (Kiefer, you there??).

I'm with Micah on the avy concerns. However, given what sounds like (if I understand correctly) a somewhat scrubbed off NW ridge to Belford a couple weeks ago (CT), there may be some hope of getting Oxford this winter.

Any willing sufferers with paid-up life insurance, could you please kindly post or PM. 8-[