Mt. Huron Saturday

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hummel83
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Huron Saturday

Post by Hummel83 »

Does anyone know the trail head conditions fo Mt. Huron if snowshoes would be needed or anything you could give me that would help...
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Huron Saturday

Post by Doug Shaw »

Here's something that would help.
Hummel83
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hummel83 »

i read that earlier but the date is from the 6th and it has snowed since ...i wanted to know the trail conditions currently
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Looks like 30-40" around the Huron area according to NOAA, so you're looking at a serious wallow fest. It will require a night out unless you're Superman. You'll be starting near where the Winfield road is no longer plowed, which is ~4 miles east of the Missouri Gulch trailhead. Huron only sees a handful of winter ascents a year, so you'll likely be busting a trench.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

There might also be high avalanche danger on some of those open(ish) slopes leading to the upper basin.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs