Crestone Peak / Crestone Needle traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Peak / Crestone Needle traverse

Post by bking14ers »

About how far is the traverse between the Peak, and the Needle? What is the best one to climb first? And, how hard is the class 4 stuff on the Needle?
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Crestone Peak / Crestone Needle traverse

Post by Carl »

A search of "crestones traverse" yielded 182 matches.

The simple answer is that the traverse could take a few hours, it is best to start at the peak unless you want to rappel off the needle, and the class 4 is exposed.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

bking14ers wrote:About how far is the traverse between the Peak, and the Needle? What is the best one to climb first? And, how hard is the class 4 stuff on the Needle?
The class 4 on the needle isn't bad at all. It is solid conglomerate with full hand holds. My brother and I did needle 2 peak last summer and we rapped down with a rope because we brought it, but I wish I hadn't. We could have downclimbed it and anyone that is used to exposure could have as well. Upcliming would be no problem. Also note if you do needle to peak that you may have to re-climb broken hand pass on after both peaks when you are exhausted depending on the route that you take. Since you are asking about the traverse and times, I am fairly certain you would be in that area and not on the other side of crestone peak from bear's playground. I would recommend climbing the peak first and then the needle. The traverse isn't too difficult for the most part. It's just a lot of up and down and searching for the next cairn. The last couple of hundred feet on the needle is really the only difficult part if you are decent at route finding.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
peakmind
14ers: 58 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (32)

Post by peakmind »

The needle 4th class section is not hard but it is exposed. The empty sockets where river stones used to protrude from the conglomerate rock provide excellent holds and clear evidence that you should not trust any single protruding rock with your life (use multiple points of contact). Also, there is no way to protect the climb on lead, so don't bother bringing rock gear for that purpose alone.