2 slides on pikes peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

2 slides on pikes peak

Post by tenpins »

just a heads up....we heard there was a slide on the peak near the Ws on the toll road last tuesday which closed the road for a while. And a friend saw one last night on the north face ( we glass the peak frequently looking at routes and stuff). Looked like crazy winds up there today. So be careful out there.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: 2 slides on pikes peak

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Waiting to hear from a friend who summitted today - I haven't been up since early winter (Crags side) - not real excited about snowpack and conditions this year.

That said, the east side is looking more favorable lately, and hear tell two summits from that side in the last couple weeks.

FWIW...

Thx for the heads up.
It Escapes Me
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by It Escapes Me »

Jim have you heard if that team made summit? We talked about their bid yesterday while on a CMC outing.

Curtis
Not to be confused with Cvrti5!
Snowman_14erman
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Snowman_14erman »

r
tenpins wrote:just a heads up....we heard there was a slide on the peak near the Ws on the toll road last tuesday which closed the road for a while. And a friend saw one last night on the north face ( we glass the peak frequently looking at routes and stuff). Looked like crazy winds up there today. So be careful out there.
Just a quick question. Tenpins, did anyone report these 2 slides for the CAIC? I was just hoping to catch this kind of intel on that site as well. Also were the slides human triggered or in remote areas. A picture or even a google map with highlighted slides would be great. Last question, where was the slide on the North Face?

Thanks for the beta

JM (Drink Beer from Upslope Brewing)
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

pikes slide 4-3-10.jpg
pikes slide 4-3-10.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

I just took this about 15 minutes ago. I shot the whole Glencove Circ and only saw this suspicious looking crown. With all the windloading the last few days it does not suplise me that this would trigger without human interference. (hopefully) I couldn't see anything near the Piggy's, Chimney, Little Italy, or the Blue Run (which looks pretty bare from all the wind) but I have limited telephoto options.
To the High Crags!
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

Pikes North Face 4-4-10.jpg
Pikes North Face 4-4-10.jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Pikes North Face 4-4-10 I can't see a crown on the NF. Not to say it didn't happen...
To the High Crags!
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

colorado yooper wrote:I just took this about 15 minutes ago. I shot the whole Glencove Circ and only saw this suspicious looking crown. With all the windloading the last few days it does not suplise me that this would trigger without human interference. (hopefully) I couldn't see anything near the Piggy's, Chimney, Little Italy, or the Blue Run (which looks pretty bare from all the wind) but I have limited telephoto options.
I drove part way up Pikes on Monday and was turned around at Glen Cove. They had the road closed there and stated that we would not be allowed to proceed by vehicle or foot beyond Glen Cove on the road (or off of it for that matter really...). They had said there had been an avalanche in the area and they were "waiting for the rest of the cornice to come down." I don't know if things had changed since then, but just based on what I saw on Monday, there had been some fairly significant looking wet slide activity as things warmed up and what appeared to be some slab activity in/near Little Italy. That's what I've got!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
Snowman_14erman
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Snowman_14erman »

Thanks for the intel. The CAIC really is happy to get reports like these and they publish the reports from the public. Please continue to forward your info their way. Great pictures as well.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Kev, there's always a cornice off to the right (west) of Little Italy. Seems to me if it slid it would miss the road up to Glen Cove - (to the west) though it's been a long time since I've been up there. Of course, any of those bad boys above the road after G.C. can slide if heavily loaded.

Curtis, my friend went solo from the Crags said. He'll have a TR on another site. Basically said the wind chill above treeline "was in the brutal range." Email me if you need more info.

Jim
Kevin8020
14ers: 35  5 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Kevin8020 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Kev, there's always a cornice off to the right (west) of Little Italy. Seems to me if it slid it would miss the road up to Glen Cove - (to the west) though it's been a long time since I've been up there. Of course, any of those bad boys above the road after G.C. can slide if heavily loaded.
Yeah, hence the quote around that part... I was just repeating what the person in the booth on the road told me. Either way, from what she told me, the avalanche was due to a cornice, and as a result they were keeping people off of the road for safety reasons. I find that confusing, but i trusted them. Monday was definitely no day I wanted to be on the mountain! I wish they had some official report on road conditions and mountain safety online... but of course, no...
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. --Proverbs 3:5-6
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

hey everyone,

the slide last tuesday was on the bowl just off the Ws on the toll road from what I understand. as you drive up past glen cove, and are passing the gravel pit road, the bowl is just in front of you a little left. The picture yooper posted are of the annual cornice on the cornice bowl as some call it. There have been natural release slides there alot this year. I saw the remains of a large one back in January.

The slide that my buddy saw was on the north face...but not in the north face couloir bowl. If you know where "2 mile" is on Barr trail, and then think about where the Y couloir is, the slide was on the NNW facing slope between the two.

I assume that someone reported the slide that closed the road. We did not report the slide he saw on friday, but we should have. Triggers, as far as we know were natural...no one has been reported overdue on PP. Yet.
It Escapes Me
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by It Escapes Me »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Curtis, my friend went solo from the Crags said. He'll have a TR on another site. Basically said the wind chill above treeline "was in the brutal range." Email me if you need more info.

Jim
Ahh I thought he might be part of the team that went up. It sounded like they went up through Barr. I'd be interested in reading the report, but prolly wont be trying PP until late spring early summer.

Curtis
Not to be confused with Cvrti5!