Ft Collins CFI Steward Training

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Ft Collins CFI Steward Training

Post by George James »

I've arranged for Brian Wallace from the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative to come back up to Fort Collins for a Peak Steward Training at Colorado State University, two weeks from today:

Wednesday April 21st, 5-9pm
TILT Building Auditorium (Room 221)

Location Map:
http://www.map.colostate.edu/map-right.aspx#59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This training session is being hosted by the Outdoor Club at Colorado State University, but as with everything the club does, this event is open to anyone at all that would like to be involved, not just students and club members. We expect people to be trickling in between 5 and 5:30, so it's okay if you can't make it right at 5, as Brian will not start in on the real beef of the training right away.

Peak Stewards count visitors and hand out Leave No Trace cards to those who are unfamiliar with the delicate conditions in the alpine environments. If you are unfamiliar with CFI, they are a nonprofit organization partnered with the Forest Service whose mission is to protect and preserve Colorado’s fourteen thousand foot peaks through active stewardship and public education and an organization. If you're a Facebook user, you can become a fan of the CFI right here. They are lucky to have Bill Middlebrook, the creator of 14ers.com, as a Board Member. =D>

CFI accomplishments from 2009: http://www.14ers.org/documents/CFIAccom ... _FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more information and to register for this training, please contact Brian at the CFI office: 303-278-7650, or email to brian@14ers.org.

Thanks,
George
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Ft Collins CFI Steward Training

Post by George James »

More info on the Peak Steward Program: http://14ers.org/volunteer_programs_steward.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

George,

I've met Brian as well and have been working with him to bring more awareness to the Summit/Eagle/Park county regions and hopefully, in the near future, expand even more so into the western mountain regions of Colorado. This Steward Program sounds pretty neat and a great way to get more involved with the 14er preservation effort without too much of a mandatory commitment, just a few times a month throughout the summer. Thanks for posting this info.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I wonder why this never comes to Colorado Springs.

Just out of curiousity, how many folks would attend a Peak Steward Training if it were to occur in Colorado Springs?

If there are enough of us, we could probably ask for them to conduct a course down here for us. After seeing our numbers at local gatherings, I am willing to bet there would be a fairly good turnout.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
CFI PeakSteward
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CFI PeakSteward »

Thanks for the post here George!

mountainmicah83: I would love to come to Colorado Springs and have been making an attempt at locating a good place to host a training at. I have been working with the Colorado College but their schedule is a bit weird and am not sure if I can make it happen with my schedule. 10 folks or more would definitely be worth it so if you think we could conjure up the interest in a timely fashion that would be great! At this point, May 15th or May 29th could work on my end...any thoughts? - Also, our big training is in Alma and on LDB on June 12th and 13th so if you wanted to get a group together to attend (we'll be camping and what not) that could be another option.

And as George said, definitely feel free to contact me to chat about this: 303-278-7650 or brian@14ers.org

Cheers!
Brian
Education and Outreach Coordinator
Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

CFI PeakSteward wrote:Thanks for the post here George!

mountainmicah83: I would love to come to Colorado Springs and have been making an attempt at locating a good place to host a training at. I have been working with the Colorado College but their schedule is a bit weird and am not sure if I can make it happen with my schedule. 10 folks or more would definitely be worth it so if you think we could conjure up the interest in a timely fashion that would be great! At this point, May 15th or May 29th could work on my end...any thoughts? - Also, our big training is in Alma and on LDB on June 12th and 13th so if you wanted to get a group together to attend (we'll be camping and what not) that could be another option.

And as George said, definitely feel free to contact me to chat about this: 303-278-7650 or brian@14ers.org

Cheers!
Brian
Education and Outreach Coordinator
Colorado Fourteeners Initiative

Awesome Brian. I am saving your info and am getting ready to send you a PM.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Bump!