Mt. Antero road

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14ersfreak
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Antero road

Post by 14ersfreak »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how far up Mt.Antero road we could get with a Toyota Highlander in mid-June? We're not planning on passing the stream crossing, but if we could, that would be great! Thanks!
Last edited by 14ersfreak on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Mt. Antero road

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Do you mean right now, or when the road is melted? :wink:

Right now, I would say nobody is going to get much up that road. I have hiked up there early-mid April before and we had to park at the bottom of the road.

Summer season, the road isn't that bad, but I personally would not take a Highlander up that road for 2 main reasons. Highlanders seem to have a bit less ground clearance than most stock SUVs and there are a few water bars and rocks that you may have problems with. Also as far as I know Highlanders are full time 4WD which means they do not have a 4 LO option. The steepness of the road really makes 4 LO essential in my opinion, especially on the descent or you are going to be on your brakes the entire time.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
14ersfreak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ersfreak »

Sorry about that, I meant in mid-June. :roll: I don't think the Highlander we have is 4 wheel drive, but could we still make it to the stream crossing?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Could you get to the stream crossing in a 2wd Highlander? Probably. Should you try it though? No, probably not. That's a fairly rough and steep road. It's really better suited to a vehicle with 4LO and decent clearance. It's cerainly not an extreme road, but if I were in your shoes I would not attempt it in a 2wd Highlander. You break something up there and you're going to be in a world of sh!t. Tow truck aren't real easy to find up that way and if you did manage to convince a tow truck driver to come recover your ride it'd cost you a small fortune.
Where ever you are... There you are.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Whenever someone asks a question like this I assume they mean "without damaging my car". With that assumption in mind, my answer is "No, you won't make it to the stream crossing."
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I drove my Honda CR-V through it mid-june 2 years ago and then ended up parking on the other side. I just didn't want to get my feet wet! Many SUV's made it a bit farther. Let me ask you though? Are you going to a mountain to hike up it or drive? Why don't you just drive up pikes peak then? With 2WD, I wouldn't recommend the river (especially if you had to ask then the answer is absolutely not) let alone the terrain above the river.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

If it helps, I took an Xterra past the stream crossing without a problem. Of course it was the most rugged kind of Xterra there is, a rental.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
14ersfreak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ersfreak »

Thanks for your help guys!! :D Mountainmicah83, I want to hike this mountain!! It just spoils the fun if you drive almost all the way up the peak!! Even on Pikes! The only reason for me asking this question was for me to see if we could make it past the stream,so we wouldn't have to cross the freezing water!
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I drove my Jeep over the stream June 5, 2009 - it was not too bad but a little scary, mostly because it was late at night. That road is pretty nasty if you have a long wheel base or low clearance. Good luck!