Gathering Info

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ROSSUSMC
Trip Reports (0)

Gathering Info

Post by ROSSUSMC »

Hello to all,

I recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan where i had the awesome thrill of climbing a small mountain in the Wardak Province. Prior to this I had never climbed anything other than trees and hills back home in Tennessee. I also picked up the book Halfway to Heaven that was laying around in the welfare tent before the battle of Marjah and I absolutly loved it. I want to start climbing and want to know what all I need to do so. I have been in the Marines for over 8 years and have seen my fair times of grey hair moments. I have previously completed four deployments to Iraq, I live in San diego and my wife will be going to denver in june so i figured i could squeeze in a few climbs in the month she will be there. can anyone help me get off the sidelines and into the game? Thanks Sgt R. USMC
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Gathering Info

Post by mountainmicah83 »

ROSSUSMC wrote:Hello to all,

I recently returned from a tour in Afghanistan where i had the awesome thrill of climbing a small mountain in the Wardak Province. Prior to this I had never climbed anything other than trees and hills back home in Tennessee. I also picked up the book Halfway to Heaven that was laying around in the welfare tent before the battle of Marjah and I absolutly loved it. I want to start climbing and want to know what all I need to do so. I have been in the Marines for over 8 years and have seen my fair times of grey hair moments. I have previously completed four deployments to Iraq, I live in San diego and my wife will be going to denver in june so i figured i could squeeze in a few climbs in the month she will be there. can anyone help me get off the sidelines and into the game? Thanks Sgt R. USMC
Coming from a Former USMC Seargeant, Hit me up. I would love to take you up some peaks and share some stories. We can conquer a peak together as that's all I do now that I'm out. Well... and work!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
ROSSUSMC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ROSSUSMC »

cool, so if I am coming to denver in june what would be the best Mountain to climb as far as vacinity and skill level? how long you been out? what did you do? why'd you get out?
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

ROSSUSMC wrote:cool, so if I am coming to denver in june what would be the best Mountain to climb as far as vacinity and skill level? how long you been out? what did you do? why'd you get out?
I was going to reply to you in a PM because this is kind of personal and may turn into a nasty political debate but I think it would be good for others to see this:

I'm guessing you are saying your mountain skill level is novice but I am assuming you are in good shape since you are a Teufelhunden?

It also depends if you are coming out in early or late june. Early june, there is still a good bit of snow actually.

I am looking at climing Holy Cross in June otherwise, if you want to get to something less climbed, Perhaps we could get to the San Juans and Climb Sneffels. Otherwise, if I don't take you or you want to stay close to Denver, recommendations for first peaks from regulars on this site for a noob will be Quandary (near Breckenridge), Democrat/Cameron/Lincon/Bross (easy day 6 hours or so), Greys and Torreys, pretty much any Sawatch mountain- but Elbert is the tallest in Colorado and one of the easiest. If you want, we can both bring our wives (not to share though, sorry... [-X )

In answer to your second question as to why I got out:

I have been out since Summer 2006. I was an 0481 Landing Support (Red Patcher) and I loved my job, the troops, and the Corps. I got out for three reasons.
1. I wanted a college degree which I am finishing my bachelor's next week.
2. I didn't want to put my wife through that life.
3. Deployments are cool but going to the desert every 6 months for a cause I don't fully support anymore isn't that cool. Don't get me wrong, I believe the war on Terror is necessary but I think we are going about it all wrong and I will not discuss the politics of this any further unless you climb with me.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
ROSSUSMC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ROSSUSMC »

i think we are coming in late june. she will be at a conference most of the days so i am going to try and take someleave and come up there for about 2 weeks. if all goes well then i am def up for climbing any and everything we can find.

as for deployments. i just enjoy getting to meet people and experience the cultures. I dont really get all tied up in right or wrong. part of me thinks its neccessary and part of me thinks its wrong. so i just enjoy the adventure. I spent 7 months on an embedded training team with the afghan soldiers and it was simply amazing.

Red patcher huh. i am Motor T. this last deployment was my 6th and i am done with them for a looonnnggg time. so what gear should i look at as far as climbing some of the peaks you mentioned? i have a ton of cold weather gear that was given to us for the mountains in kabul and i still have it but dont want to look like a NOOB with all the coyote brown and digital stuff.

i would bring my wife but highly doubt she would want to come. she is a 4ft 10 inch vietnamese lady who hates hieghts. but i will ask.

glad to see that you found success after the corps though. always saddens me to see marines get out and go nowhere.

so if i am out there for two weeks how many summits you think might be possible in that time frame?