Kite Lake loop the week of Aug 2nd

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andyr354
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Kite Lake loop the week of Aug 2nd

Post by andyr354 »

I am hoping to hit the loop in one day. I will be alone, anybody else going out that week?

Is is busy enough during the week I won't be up there all alone usually?

Andy
“You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.”

Andy aka Willrun4Fun
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Kite Lake loop the week of Aug 2nd

Post by Jim Davies »

You won't be alone. You'll probably see dozens of other people, even on a weekday.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Jim Davies wrote:You won't be alone. You'll probably see dozens of other people, even on a weekday.
HUNDREDS, possibly (j/k)! Like ants marching on a picnic. :wink:
Rockchalk
14ers: 26 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rockchalk »

Just wanted to make you aware of the road closure to Kite Lake. We planned on hiking Decalibron yesterday only to arrive in Alma at 4:00 am to a "Road Closed" sign. The road is closed during the week from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, but appears to be open on the weekend. As a result, we opted to rehike Quandary. I'm not sure how long the construction is going on, but you may want to check before a weekday hike. Good luck and I hope it opens for you.
Gordy
"Here's to the view from very high places." - T. Magerkurth
andyr354
Trip Reports (0)

Post by andyr354 »

Thanks for the tip on the closure. Bummer though. I will have to look into it. I can be up there before 7am, wonder if I can get back out LOL.

Andy
“You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.”

Andy aka Willrun4Fun
54summits
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 54summits »

andyr354 wrote:Thanks for the tip on the closure. Bummer though. I will have to look into it. I can be up there before 7am, wonder if I can get back out LOL.

Andy
There are far worse places to be stuck outside than Kite Lake. Why not plan on having a picnic or something after your descent? It'll be a bummer indeed if it storms, but your car is safe shelter in this case and the storm will hopefully pass quickly.

-54s
andyr354
Trip Reports (0)

Post by andyr354 »

Well, did it!
8-3-10
Was a cold windy fogy morning for most of it, but had a good time. That alternate bypass for Bross is kinda touchy on the way down. Really loose surface.

That makes six peaks since Friday of last week. Those four plus Quandry, Elbert, and Sherman. Good weekend :D

Andy

Andy aka Willrun4Fun
HikerJimmer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerJimmer »

Andy,

Glad to read that you finished the hike yesterday. Was the rode to Kite Lake open?
andyr354
Trip Reports (0)

Post by andyr354 »

They are not blocking it at all for the two days I was around the area, the 2nd and 3rd anyway. the sign was just over in the ditch. Lots of people in and out all morning sight seeing.

Andy

Andy aka Willrun4Fun