La Plata SW Ridge; MAJOR MISTAKE IN ROUTE DESCRIPTION

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: La Plata SW Ridge; MAJOR MISTAKE IN ROUTE DESCRIPTION

Post by lordhelmut »

paully wrote:While I do find this thread mildly amusing, I have to agree with the original poster. It should state 'the prominent south/southwest slope ahead, since it is refering to the south/southwest slope of La Plata Peak. The fact that you are traveling north/northeast to get to it... has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, state it as 'travel north/northeast to La Plata's prominent south/southwest face. Regardless, I wouldn't call it a 'major error'. I think anyone following the route description would be just fine, and wouldn't suddenly find themselves lost on the north/northeast face, with no idea how they got there...
Bottom line, nobody should be relying 100% on online route descriptions in the mountains. GPS, then a map/compass, then some online print outs for backup. 14ers have a defined trail to the summit from start to finish anyways, so this is kind of a trivial argument in the first place.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It seems unlikely that anyone would mistakenly head 180 degrees wrong at this point in the route.
But, yeah, clarity is good.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Bill acknowledged the need to clarify the description but I think the point here is not so much the wording as it is the person who brought it up and the heavy-handed way he did it. As a first-time poster, he would have been better off saying something like "Hey Bill, love the site but I noticed in the route description for La Plata's SW slopes..." Instead he approached the error like it was a matter of life or death. The "Duh" comment didn't help either. What does that mean - "Bill, you simpleton?" Raspritz, how about a "thank you" to Bill for acknowledging the mistake and correcting it?
skier25
14ers: 44  10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by skier25 »

That is quite funny - Lol :lol:
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

do i have to rehike it now that the route has changed?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Just climb the d#$%@ed ridge. It ain't rocket science.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

gdthomas wrote:Bill acknowledged the need to clarify the description but I think the point here is not so much the wording as it is the person who brought it up and the heavy-handed way he did it. As a first-time poster, he would have been better off saying something like "Hey Bill, love the site but I noticed in the route description for La Plata's SW slopes..." Instead he approached the error like it was a matter of life or death. The "Duh" comment didn't help either. What does that mean - "Bill, you simpleton?" Raspritz, how about a "thank you" to Bill for acknowledging the mistake and correcting it?
Dead on. It was a bone-headed way to go about it and showed a lack of respect for the effort that goes into making this site work...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Jeff_F wrote:Kinda reminds me of the guy that posted last or two summers that followed the Karens for trail markings.
Yep. I followed Karens for trail markings once, and all it got me was a restraining order. 8)
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

highpilgrim wrote:Dead on. It was a bone-headed way to go about it and showed a lack of respect for the effort that goes into making this site work...
On the other hand, the "problem" did get fixed quickly. There could be subtle psychological manipulation at work here. ;)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Jim Davies wrote:On the other hand, the "problem" did get fixed quickly. There could be subtle psychological manipulation at work here.
Ah, the brilliant bonehead, intent on 14ers.com domination...I shouldn't have missed that.
Dr. Evil.jpg
Dr. Evil.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Dozer
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dozer »

lordhelmut wrote:raspitz, I have a climbing partner for you.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThtQTIK3UFw

Lordhelmut, you are my hero.
"How can you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?" --The Dude

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." --Yogi Berra
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

FCSquid wrote:
Jeff_F wrote:Kinda reminds me of the guy that posted last or two summers that followed the Karens for trail markings.
Yep. I followed Karens for trail markings once, and all it got me was a restraining order. 8)
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."