Sawtooth from Evans *to* Bierstadt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
interarma
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (1)

Sawtooth from Evans *to* Bierstadt

Post by interarma »

Good morning 14ers fans! I have a question for those who have traversed the Bierstadt/Evans Sawtooth:

I'd like to tackle the Sawtooth starting on the Evans side so I can finish on Bierstadt. Has anyone done this? I haven't seen any threads or discussions on the reversion of an otherwise popular route. Maybe the rock formations make this rather difficult for scrambling?

Experience: Comfortable up to class 4
Acclimated: Yes!
Craziness level: Certifiable

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
(And for those who might ask: Yes, I plan to descend straight down from Bierstadt to Abyss Lake, cross the valley and re-summit Evans. Did it 2 yrs ago - fun!)
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Sawtooth from Evans *to* Bierstadt

Post by Cruiser »

Most folks start on the Bierstadt side because the route is a lot easier to find that way (you just walk off the summit of Bierstadt toward the ridge). There's only one place to start the traverse from the Evans side. If you've never been up there then you're going to have a pretty difficult time finding the entrance to the ledges at the North end of the traverse. Once you find the entrance I don't see why the route would be any more difficult going from Evans though.

Maybe someone can post a decent picture of the exit on the Evans side. I don't really have one that would help much.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

You're indicating your comfortable with 4th class, so this may not be a big deal for you. From Evans to Bierdstadt you would be downclimbing the short technical part.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
interarma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by interarma »

Excellent news. When the time comes I'll be sure to take some photos of the approach from the Evan side to post in the trip report. Thanks, Cruiser!
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

look for the pics from Jim and it shows the notch to start at for the sawtooth off the ridge

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21359

for some reason it wont post my link----see post below for the complete link
Last edited by larkinrx2 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21359

Read the whole thread though, Jim revises his entry point later in the thread.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
interarma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by interarma »

Thanks for the quick help guys! Happy trails