Advice for Snomass Mt needed...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoLawDobe
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Advice for Snomass Mt needed...

Post by ColoradoLawDobe »

Hello everyone. I'm driving out this afternoon to camp at snowmass mountain trailhead and I had a couple questions. First, I was wondering if I am going to need a helmet or not as I have read a couple differing opinions. Second, due to the current weather mess, even though it looks like tomorrow will be a bit better until late afternoon, what does everyone reccomend as a start time? I usually like to start around 4am, but I was thinking maybe 2am since its a long trek. Also, maybe it would be better for me to hike up and camp by the lake tonight instead?

As a side note, what do you guys think would be a good start time for Castle/Conundrum which I "plan" on doing on Sunday or Monday?

This is my first time in the Elk range so any other thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Advice for Snomass Mt needed...

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Though I haven't done Snowmass, I considered it and studied it. For those that can answer, would you be going from the East (21 mile / 5,800 ft standard route), or the West (9.5 miles, 4,500 ft). Both lakes do seem great to camp at! Not trying to hijack, but is the East the standard because it is less loose even though it is so much longer ??
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
alexhenes
14ers: 58  19  5 
13ers: 721 61 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

I would definitely bring a helmet. The best way to do this trip... imho... is to hike in... camp... and get after the peak in the morning. From camp we started at 7:00am and had plenty of time. You may want to start earlier if there are weather issues. The peak is extremely exposed form a lightning perspective.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

ColoradoLawDobe wrote:Hello everyone. I'm driving out this afternoon to camp at snowmass mountain trailhead and I had a couple questions. First, I was wondering if I am going to need a helmet or not as I have read a couple differing opinions. Second, due to the current weather mess, even though it looks like tomorrow will be a bit better until late afternoon, what does everyone reccomend as a start time? I usually like to start around 4am, but I was thinking maybe 2am since its a long trek. Also, maybe it would be better for me to hike up and camp by the lake tonight instead?

As a side note, what do you guys think would be a good start time for Castle/Conundrum which I "plan" on doing on Sunday or Monday?

This is my first time in the Elk range so any other thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi ColoradoLawDobe,

I assume by your description that you are planning on climbing Snowmass Mountain by it's standard Northeast Route from the lake?

If so, the climb is 21 miles round-trip (17 round-trip from the trail head to Snowmass Lake + 4 miles round-trip to the summit from the lake) and I would highly recommend backpacking in to Snowmass Lake the night before as it will greatly increase your changes of success. With the weather we've been having lately, I would hate to have you reach the lake later in the morning only to find weather keeping you from climbing the last 2 miles to the summit. Plus hiking/climbing 21 miles in one day is really long/tiring and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a total masochist or work-out fanatic. If you do decide to climb Snowmass in one day, I would definitely recommend an earlier start time (2 AM sounds appropriate).

As far as helmets are concerned, I always wear a helmet on any route rated Class 3 or above (which Snowmass Mountain is). Having climbed the peak from both sides, the lake side is much less technical/loose, but there is still some chance that rocks on the summit ridge may be kicked loose by someone else or just slide off and hit you on their own, which would end your day on a bad note.

As far as Castle/Conundrum are concerned, it really depends on how far you drive up the road into Montezuma Basin. If you start above the campground plan on a long day and start early as it is around 12-13 miles. If you drive to the Pearl Pass/Montezuma Basin split at 11,200 feet (which most people do and is about 8 miles round-trip but requires high-clearance 4WD), I would recommend that you start hiking around the 5-7 AM time period.

Hope that answers your questions.

Happy Trails!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

To answer the original post first: bring your helmet. For what it weighs, you'll be a lot better off bringing it and deciding you don't need to use it than you would be not bringing it and cursing that decision. I think a helmet is wise for anything Class 3+. I did Snowmass from Geneva Lakes, so I can't really tell you a good start time from the standard except that if you're worried, start earlier. I also notice this is your first Class 3 14er, so it might take you a little longer than you anticipate. Good luck; fantastic place. Watch the weather.

For C&C, we started sort of late (6:30-ish) but moved fast (back at the car at 12:30-ish). We parked right around the washed-out bridge crossing, which I understand has been fixed this year.

In response to the second post, the standard route has the "it" view of Snowmass and Snowmass Lake. I did the west route, which has a very different view of Snowmass, great lakes, tons of loose rocks, multiple routes, some solitude, and great picture opportunities (including the Crystal Mine on the way in, if you take the low road). The road in also is rough, which may account for this being the non-standard route.
ColoradoLawDobe
Trip Reports (0)

Well, since I won't be able to leave Denver until 3pm today I may switch up the order and do Catle/Conundrum tomorrow and then Snowmass on Sunday/Monday with the camp in. Are there other places to camp that are any good before the lake? Oh, and sorry about being vaque, as I will be doing the 21 mile route. Thanks for the advice so far!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

ColoradoLawDobe wrote:Well, since I won't be able to leave Denver until 3pm today I may switch up the order and do Catle/Conundrum tomorrow and then Snowmass on Sunday/Monday with the camp in. Are there other places to camp that are any good before the lake? Oh, and sorry about being vaque, as I will be doing the 21 mile route. Thanks for the advice so far!
Snowmass Lake is a very popular place and camping is in designated spots only (I've seen FS Rangers up there handing out tickets). There may be several designated spots below the lake, but I can't remember. My advice is to get there early and choose the spot you like best.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
ColoradoLawDobe
Trip Reports (0)

Thanks, also are there any campsites near the Castle TH? I searched but did not find anything directly answering my question. One more thing, do you think I would be okay sleeping in just a bivy inside my tent wearing thermals? My sleeping bag is not the lightest and smallest exactly and I didn't want to bring my larger pack. Again, thanks in advance!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

ColoradoLawDobe wrote:Thanks, also are there any campsites near the Castle TH? I searched but did not find anything directly answering my question. One more thing, do you think I would be okay sleeping in just a bivy inside my tent wearing thermals? My sleeping bag is not the lightest and smallest exactly and I didn't want to bring my larger pack. Again, thanks in advance!
No, not really. You can definitely camp up there, but it's pretty sloped/rocky (you might find a flat spot though or something in the trees). I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but I believe many people just sleep in the back of their SUVs/trucks. There is a campground at the end of Castle Creek (below the start of the 4WD road into Montezuma Basin/Pearl Pass), but I believe it is still closed due to bear activity earlier this summer. I don't see why you couldn't bivy in either location, of course rain might put a damper on that! :)

Cheers!

kaiman

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick