Mt. Wilson South Ridge or Southwest Slopes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Wilson South Ridge or Southwest Slopes

Post by cbauer10 »

Average Joe wrote:
cbauer10 wrote: The gully down to Kilpacker was very straight forward and easy. There was loose rock in the gully, but nothing too dicey. That gully would be a great snow climb in the spring for sure.
Any chance you have pictures of the gully you descended / line you took down? Doing the Kilpacker to El-Diente + traverse next week. Based on what I've read / seen, the best option is to start back down the traverse a bit until you find the obvious gully that is shown in some pictures and angles SW down Mt Wilson, but it would be great to get any details on the route you took down / photos of the entrance to the gully.

Thanks!
I do have them and my partner said she might do a TR. I will let you know if she does. If she doesn't, I will post them for you.

I know the gully you are talking about and here is what I would say about that. It would be a good one to go down, but getting to it is much more difficult. You have to down climb the crux move on Mount Wilson, go across the Narrows, and then down climb what I would say is the most challenging part of the traverse to get to the saddle which would be the top of that gully. The crux move alone is the reason that the gentleman came down our way and around to Navajo.

The gully we took down goes off the other side and it is only about 50 feet down to the top of the gully. Then those two gullies, the one you were looking at and the one we took, meet up about 200 feet down. So you get to avoid all of that to just go down the gully we did is much preferable in my opinion.

I just talked to my climbing partner and she is doing a TR.
Average Joe
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Average Joe »

Excellent, good to know. Thanks!
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

The gully is pretty much where the snow comes down at the back of the basin in that photo by Ned-Man. That is why I think it would make a great spring snow climb. Keep in mind that Ned-Man did not take that photo recently as there was no where near that much snow on it yesterday, not that it is a lot of snow. :)
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Here is a link to my photos without explanation. Lynn will use some of them in the TR and explain them better.

http://gallery.mac.com/cbauer10#100543& ... &view=grid
Bob Kocher
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

cbauer,

sounds like you had a great climb. congrats on your descent back to kilpacker too.

thanks for relaying the info about it. Do you think your partner's TR will be available tonight or tomorrow? Your info/pics on the descent off the summit of MW will be great info for our trip there this weekend.

thanks again!
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

Bob Kocher wrote:cbauer,

thanks for relaying the info about it. Do you think your partner's TR will be available tonight or tomorrow? Your info/pics on the descent off the summit of MW will be great info for our trip there this weekend.
No promises but I'll do what I can! I may have only gotten 8 hours of sleep in the last two nights, but I do have my priorities straight :)
The short end of it is that I absolutely agree with Chris - the south route off of Mt Wilson was absolutely do-able and I would definitely recommend it.
Bob Kocher
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

No worries if you can't get to it. You guys have already provided some good info for us. (Although I may have a question or two after reading more tonight).

Get some rest!
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

Bob Kocher wrote:No worries if you can't get to it. You guys have already provided some good info for us. (Although I may have a question or two after reading more tonight).
It's up! Let us know if you have any specific questions. I'm around for a few hours (before my next 14er adventure :D )
cbauer10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Ned-man
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ned-man »

Well done!
Good info for me....I still need Mt.Wilson, but I don't want to hike into Navajo Basin again.
Bob Kocher
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

cbauer and Lynn,

Thanks for the info and for putting your TR together so quickly. We appreciate it! I've only watched the first few minutes, but the video on the bottom of your TR is a nice tour of the route too.

bob