Shelter on Halo Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Shelter on Halo Ridge

Post by screefieldstevie »

I'm really glad to hear that they fixed the issue and didn't just slap a closed sign on it and leave it at that.....that's wonderful news!!!!
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
Swampy
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Swampy »

Happy to hear I don't need my tent. Don't even joke about the case of beer. There would be nothing better.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Swampy wrote:Thanks everyone. Sounds like a great route! I've got some flatlanders with me so we are trying to avoid a really long day by making a night trip and leaving the shelter early.
Just remember that you're going to be sleeping above 13k. I wouldn't expect your flatlander friends to have a very restful sleep unless they've acclimated pretty well before heading up there.

Good luck and have fun.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
dcronin1981
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dcronin1981 »

I have a question, I am going up to climb on Sat and I was thinking about doing the loop for a day trip. Is it better to do the North side for the ascent then Halo Ridge down so that way you avoid the extra climb with tired legs on the way out. Is that a good idea or would people suggest the other way around?

Thanks
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

dcronin1981 wrote:I have a question, I am going up to climb on Sat and I was thinking about doing the loop for a day trip. Is it better to do the North side for the ascent then Halo Ridge down so that way you avoid the extra climb with tired legs on the way out. Is that a good idea or would people suggest the other way around?

Thanks
I did it that way a couple of years ago, for the reason you stated. I don't think I'd do that again, however. I believe the afternoon spent scrambling on boulders above 13,000' on Halo Ridge was more exhausting than reascending Half Moon Pass. My two partners and I all ran out of water on the ridge, and there's no water source until well below the hut. If afternoon thunderstorms are in the picture (shouldn't be this weekend), I'd definitely do it the other way around, so that you have a better chance of getting below tree line before the storms begin.
Steve6500
14ers: 26 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve6500 »

I did the North side ascent/Halo Ridge descent about three weeks ago, and although I'm glad I did it, it definitely kicked my butt. The hike over to Holy Cross Ridge from the top of Mt of The Holy Cross wasn't too difficult and the trail was easy to follow. After that, though, the traverse over to the shelter was a grind with plenty of rock hopping. Even with 100oz of water to start the hike, I was out before I reached the shelter. Also, it took me 4 hours to get to the top of Holy Cross and 5 hours to get down by way of Halo Ridge. I don't know if the other way around is any easier (if planning on doing entire trip in one day).