HELMUT NEEDED?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pkpzp228
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: HELMUT NEEDED?

Post by pkpzp228 »

I did the traverse Diente to Wilson and descended Wilson on the Northeast ridge, I was solo on the traverse and there's no way I would have done it again. (ie went back over it) That said, I thought the descent of Wilson was pretty easy and solid. My ascent of Diente was rather non standard climbing the ledge system directly right of the summit on photo#2, route 3 (http://14ers.com/photos/wilsongroup/lRElDi_302.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) eventually intersecting the North Buttress route just below the slabs. Personally I wouldn't do Wilson -> Diente because of the limited options for descent, I'm glad I didn't go near the Diente std route and I would not have downclimbed the line I chose.
-- climb on --

http://verticalcompulsion.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Just got back from Mount Wilson/El Diente yesterday. There were 8 people on those two mountains yesterday and only 4 had helmets. 3 of those 8 did the traverse without helmets. We were surprised to see so many people without helmets. One was a guy that finished on Mt. Wilson too. I would DEFINITELY suggest one, but I would not force my opinion on to anyone either. It is a personal choice. We had ours.
Schu
14ers: 57 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Schu »

If you do the traverse in June you get a nice snow climb up El D and a fun glissade down Wilson.
Range after range of mountains
Year after year after year
I am still in love.
--Gary Snyder
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

cbauer10 wrote:Just got back from Mount Wilson/El Diente yesterday. There were 8 people on those two mountains yesterday and only 4 had helmets. 3 of those 8 did the traverse without helmets. We were surprised to see so many people without helmets. One was a guy that finished on Mt. Wilson too. I would DEFINITELY suggest one, but I would not force my opinion on to anyone either. It is a personal choice. We had ours.
Well, that's a better ratio than what I saw on Capitol a few weeks ago... counted 15 people and ONE helmet! :shock: Many of these were young-ish kids with their (supposedly older and more responsible) parents, too.

EDIT: And I will echo everyone else's comments in this thread that a helmet is the way to go on the Wilson group.
Last edited by wooderson on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Wilson Peak was definitely terrain where I wore a helmet:

Same with the El Diente to Wilson traverse:

When we did the traverse there were groups going either direction on it. The El Diente to Wilson groups seemed to fair better simply because their route was more straight forward. The other direction would frequently cliff out, back track a little, then continue.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Yog
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog »

Yes. He is highly recommended.
Where is Lord Helmut when you need him?! Helmets in any situation where you can get tagged by a rock is a good idea. Also, if you bring any Mogs with you, please make sure they are wearing Helmuts and are leashed. Universal strength hair dryer cords also may suffice as leashes.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

I think the best route on El Diente is the North Buttress. Exposed. Solid. And a bit longer it seemed then the other routes on it. I did the traverse up the South Slopes of El Diente w/ traverse to Mount Wilson and descended down Navajo Lake to our campsite nearby.

I would reccomend going up the north buttress w/ traverse and descend Mount Wilson.

I found none of the traverse above class 3. Only class 4 I had on the whole route was the exciting right finish of the block on Mount Wilsons summit ridge and that was one easy move. I did the traverse in a little over 2 hours and we were moving slow.

Definately wear a helmet! Very loose rock.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Winter8000m wrote:I think the best route on El Diente is the North Buttress. Exposed. Solid. And a bit longer it seemed then the other routes on it.
I haven't done any of the other routes on El Diente so I can't offer a comparison, but the west ridge is fantastic. Solid, scenic, solitary, and not nearly as hard as it looks. I've heard nothing but complaints about the other routes, but I really enjoyed that one.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

crossfitter wrote:
Winter8000m wrote:I think the best route on El Diente is the North Buttress. Exposed. Solid. And a bit longer it seemed then the other routes on it.
I haven't done any of the other routes on El Diente so I can't offer a comparison, but the west ridge is fantastic. Solid, scenic, solitary, and not nearly as hard as it looks. I've heard nothing but complaints about the other routes, but I really enjoyed that one.
And I would recommend the South Slopes route on El Diente from the Kilpacker side. We just did it on Wednesday and it was so solid I couldn't believe it. We ran into a guide from Telluride there and his comment was that if you do El Diente on the South Slopes route, it is the easiest of the three in that group. Having down all three now, I would have to agree with that statement. There was only some slightly loose stuff towards the top, but that is after you merge with either the Gully or Buttress routes from the north side. Here is a thread where this has been discussed a little more.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 97#p319097

As far as the traverse goes, there is about 50 feet of tricky stuff from the saddle up, but nothing too serious. Still I would recommend a helmet.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Without fail, you only need a helmet when you need a helmet. All the times you don't get beaned by a rock or smash your head in a fall, a helmet is not necessary. Still, as crossfitter said, you'll look badass!
Attachments
Decorations provided by Baron von Bergshrund
Decorations provided by Baron von Bergshrund
helmet.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 756 times
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?