Carson/Challenger info needed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Carson/Challenger info needed

Post by Aug_Dog »

How long a trip is it really if you do both? How far up the road can I get in my Tacoma TRD?

Thanks.

I've been eying this combo for awhile. It looks awesome!
Go get it
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Carson/Challenger info needed

Post by lurker »

I forget the hiking mileage, but it is a long day for a single day hike ~ 12hrs give or take.
easy car access to the trailhead, of course that was years ago.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Aug_Dog wrote:How far up the road can I get in my Tacoma TRD?
It would be reasonably possible for a passenger car to get to the TH, though some choose to leave it below the TH a bit with a short walk. Thus with a truck you should be OK. The biggest problem is it is sandy and your tires could spin in it a little bit - you could avoid that by speeding up slightly. Or if your truck is 4WD then no problem. The road is much better this year then in 09.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:How far up the road can I get in my Tacoma TRD?
It would be reasonably possible for a passenger car to get to the TH, though some choose to leave it below the TH a bit with a short walk. Thus with a truck you should be OK. The biggest problem is it is sandy and your tires could spin in it a little bit - you could avoid that by speeding up slightly. Or if your truck is 4WD then no problem. The road is much better this year then in 09.
Cool, thanks. The beta on this site said it is about 14 miles roundtrip, but those aren't always right, so I guess what I am asking is, would having a 4x4 Tacoma that can get to places most can't shorten this trip for me?

Did Longs last weekend, so am not real up for another 12-hour day. Then again, this combo looks awesome!
Go get it
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Aug_Dog wrote:so I guess what I am asking is, would having a 4x4 Tacoma that can get to places most can't shorten this trip for me?
No, once you get to the TH that's as far as you can drive, you're hiking from there. I assume you're talking about the West side.
Last edited by Wish I lived in CO on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Yes, you can get your truck to the 4wd trailhead (the road is not that bad) and yes, 14 miles roundtrip is the length of the hike. I did Challenger only on Tuesday (about 13 miles) and it took me about 7.5 hours, and I am a fast uphill hiker and ran the downhill, so ya it is a long day.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Agree, you can only drive to the TH - which will be zero problem in good conditions this year. The length of the trip is no biggie IMO. Did both, hitting KC first - N Ridge - descending via Challenger - in a moderate day from - well, home. I slept in my own bed, got up in the am and drove out there (from Springs), did both - was slowed down a bit by the boulderfield over to the N Ridge, and still made it back to the car in 10 hours - including a stop at the lake on the way back. Very definitely doable. Very definitely worth doing. One of the funnest trips I've had this summer.
skystrings
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skystrings »

We did this route last Labor Day weekend. Drive to trailhead was no problem in a toyota Camry which is as far as you can go in a vehichle. We camped at Willow lake just because we wanted to make a 2 day hike out of it plus we heard that it was a beautiful place to camp which it indeed ended up being. The hike itself would be no worse than a long day attempting Longs peak from the parking lot in my opinion. It seemed like a long climb to me but again we carried full packs. Myself...I would do it again as an overnight just because I really liked camping at Willow. Enjoy your climb.
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon
Matt Benak
14ers: 37 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Matt Benak »

Highly recommend backpacking up Willow Creek trail, camping, hiking the peaks the next day, camping again and then hiking out -- if you have the time. It is a beautiful area and that waterfall into Willow Lake is impressive. Just did these two a couple of weekends ago.