Sneffles in Late September / Early October

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barb4rian
14ers: 44  2  3 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Sneffles in Late September / Early October

Post by Barb4rian »

As one of our last "pre-winter" 14ers, my group and I want to get a foot into the San Juans. I have admired Mt. Sneffles since I started doing 14ers and it has always been near the top of my to do list.

Anyway, is Sneffles doable in late-late September or early October? Or is that idea just a really stupid thought? I searched the forum for topics on this time frame but didn't find any (so apologies if this is a duplicate).

Thanks, and any suggestions of routes are welcomed as well! :)
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Sneffles in Late September / Early October

Post by Nelson »

I climbed Sneffels yesterday and it was beautiful. Perfect conditions. Your problem is that at some point we're going to get a big fall snow storm and then you might not even be able to drive up to Yankee Boy Basin. You just have to play it by ear.

Nelson
Barb4rian
14ers: 44  2  3 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sneffles in Late September / Early October

Post by Barb4rian »

Awesome. Congrats on climbing with good weather, always nice!

Sounds like most Colorado weather, play it by ear, hah. Alright well I guess that is what we will have to do then. Here's to hoping for a slightly delayed fall snow! (Not too late though, I want a good snow season too :) )

Thanks for the advice!