Mount Antero Advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Antero Advice

Post by MtHurd »

14erkid wrote:I think Rockdale had that mudslide problem earlier in the summer. It may not be passable by a 4x4 vehicle.
It's passable, I just did it. There are great views of Huron from the Missouri trail via Rockdale trailhead. It might not be a bad option to climb Huron from that side.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Barry Raven wrote:
14erkid wrote:I think Rockdale had that mudslide problem earlier in the summer. It may not be passable by a 4x4 vehicle.
It's passable, I just did it. There are great views of Huron from the Missouri trail via Rockdale trailhead. It might not be a bad option to climb Huron from that side.
I was up on Missouri's west slopes yesterday in the rain/snow/wind and drove to the gate - perfectly passable in 4WD-high; soils were obviously soft during and after the storm - the large wash area about half-way up the road caused some swimming for my Jeep but nothing too bad.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
adkinsadam1
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by adkinsadam1 »

Does anyone have any pics of the Winfield/Huron road that have been taken recently?
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

adkinsadam1 wrote:Does anyone have any pics of the Winfield/Huron road that have been taken recently?
no pics but was up there a few weeks back. you dont need 4x just good clearance. people were making it up there in Subies and there was a mini cooper 1/2 way into the 4x road
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

larkinrx2 wrote:
adkinsadam1 wrote:Does anyone have any pics of the Winfield/Huron road that have been taken recently?
no pics but was up there a few weeks back. you dont need 4x just good clearance. people were making it up there in Subies and there was a mini cooper 1/2 way into the 4x road
I agree, although an Arkansas hillbilly managed to get his 2wd van stuck in the one spot where he needed 4wd a couple of weeks back. And he left it there overnight. :evil:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
lemurtech
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lemurtech »

If you do decide on Antero, another option is to hike from the Browns Creek TH. I did this about a month ago, and except for the last mile and half, never saw anyone. Its a good long hike, but you save a lot of time because its only maybe 15 minutes from the main highway, and its all-car accessible. You can make a loop out of the hike by going up Browns Creek, and coming back down Little Browns Creek. Either way, nice creek, trees, etc. Once you hike above treeline it becomes obvious quickly where the road is, and you can go anyway you want up to the saddle of Antero.