snake above 14k feet?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
theo9805
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

snake above 14k feet?

Post by theo9805 »

it was just a little guy, a garter snake i'm guessing?, maybe 1.5 feet long. sorry for the crappy picture, it's from my phone. saw him on mt. evans yesterday. anyone else see snakes this high? maybe it's because of the road/foot/food traffic here on mt. evans. but maybe this is normal too and i just didn't know. unexpected for me especially with the recent snow fall.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TerryLiv
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: snake above 14k feet?

Post by TerryLiv »

I have never seen a snake of any kind when climbing in Colorado. I saw a gray fox at 8:40 PM at 14,200 on Uncompahgre though. He was looking for dinner.
Tim Jordan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim Jordan »

Perhaps it was dropped by a hawk.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Perhaps it unintentionally hitched a ride on a car. I’ve never seen a snake above tree line.

Here’s an article on garter snakes in winter. Up high in Colorado doesn’t seem like a place a snake will survive a winter.

http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/ga ... es_i_1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
CargoClimber
14ers: 49 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CargoClimber »

I've never seen or heard of a snake that high. I have seen them as high as 8500 feet, usually in a wet area.
summit co kc
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit co kc »

Was it alive?
I've seen small snakes in summit county around keystone and summit cove, but on the summit of a 14er?
cwm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cwm »

summit co kc wrote:Was it alive?
I've seen small snakes in summit county around keystone and summit cove, but on the summit of a 14er?

I owned property in Summit county starting in the early 1980s. I owned a house in Summit Cove for over 14 years and never saw a snake. I assumed they did not exist there unless it was in the north end of the county in the Heeney or Green Mountain Reservoir area since the elevation was closer to 8,000 ft.

But about 6 years ago I did see a snake. I was mountain biking along the east side of Old Dillon Reservoir and there was a snake on the dirt road. I stopped to make sure I was seeing correctly and it crawled off the road. A few minutes later as I was returning it was back on the road enjoying the sun again. The elevation there would be about 9,500 ft.

But I never saw another one again. And I have done a lot of biking and hiking in the Keystone area.
theo9805
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theo9805 »

yeah it was alive, just slithered right across the trail. totally weird. maybe someone just set it free up there for fun?
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I saw a snake on the Castle Creek Road. He was in bad shape from apparently having been run over. He was still alive, but seemed to be gasping for air. So I picked him up with a stick and put him in the woods. This was on the hill with campsites before the first stream crossing below 10,200’. Since it was on the road he could have been another possible hitch hiker.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Buckshot Jake
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Buckshot Jake »

I saw a snake up there in June. I was coming down the gully from Evans, slipped and fell, looked to my left under a pile of rocks and saw a snake coiled up. It scared the s**t out of me! That was probably about 13,800 so I am not surprised if you saw one at the top, especially with the warm weather we are still having.
Buckshot

14er Finisher No. 1,580 ALL TIME
WheelerDealer
14ers: 44 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WheelerDealer »

We've got way too many of the darn things down here in New Mexico. Nearly stepped on a rattler a month ago on a lower elevation hike. Since then, I'm convinced that every shadow is waiting to bite me. Bleck.