Speed assents of mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Speed assents of mountain

Post by Sugar Madison »

djkest wrote:Wow, you guys are studs. There is no way I'm going to summit Greys in an hour and a half, even from the summer TH.

I hear (but cannot confirm) that the record for summitting Longs Peak is 1 hour 49 minutes. A ranger told me about that, and he swore it was round trip. I think he is off his rocker. That's 15 miles RT, you'd have to average 8 mph, which would be impossible from the keyhole on. You could maybe average 10 mph on the way down if you were in really good shape, it's fairly smooth for most of the trail but there are some rocks you'd have to leap over.

I'm wondering if you were going for a speed record, if the loft route wouldn't be better. Less traffic and less distance. You'd skip Meeker, of course.

My personal time was 4 hours, 41 mintues to summit Longs. I am going to try to do it in 4 hours flat next summer, which should be no problem. We made it to the keyhole under 3 hours last time.
You are correct. The RT FKT is 2:05 by Chris Revelry. I don't think it's been broken yet. Up and down the North Face w/ a few shortcuts was the route... much faster than either the Loft or the Keyhole.

The FKT for the Keyhole is 1:49 up. Set by Kraig Koski. That is ascent only.