Ropes on the Bells traverse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Neuder
14ers: 55 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Ropes on the Bells traverse?

Post by Neuder »

I am wondering if you all think it would be worth it to use ropes on the traverse. We would probably go South to North. I have done alot of research on this famous traverse and am super interested in it. I do alot of rock climbing and would be fine without ropes, but my dad woundn't. I was thinking I could solo it and set up a anchor to belay him up? I don't think it would be nessicary for me to lead it, but if I did would there be any placements? Any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks for the help. Neuder
Steaky
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ropes on the Bells traverse?

Post by Steaky »

...If your dad cant make it up without a rope, bring a rope! Or, dont bring your dad.

None of the climbing is hard (in dry conditions). In wet, icy, or snowy conditions, the exposed ledges can be very difficult to traverse or downclimb.

We went S to N. On I believe Spire 1, One soloed the climb, built an anchor using nuts, and belayed the rest of us up. This was after one person with no rock climbing experience soloed it anyway. The anchor was marginal but probably would have held a fall. We all free soloed the crux because we were short on time. I'd call it 5.5, though looking at beta now it appears there was a slightly easier option.

The only kind of placements you're going to get are with nuts and/or building deadman anchors. A half-set of stoppers and some webbing/cordelette should suffice. 100' of rope max.

I'd bring a rope, but I usually bring a rope or webbing on anything rated Class 4 anyway, just in case.
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

I did it twice south to north. I have no rock climbing experience but I am quite comfortable with exposure and scrambling. I didn't have any need or desire for a rope.

That said - if you think your dad will need one bring it along.
When you come to a fork in the road take it
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I did the traverse without using ropes however we had a small kit of the basics. It's just nice to keep your options open should you need to bail or someone balk at one of the cruxes.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com