Mt Elbert this weekend (10-10-10)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
50before60
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Elbert this weekend (10-10-10)

Post by 50before60 »

This Sunday my plan is to hike to the summit of Elbert via the southern trail. From here in Missouri, I've been keeping up with the forecast and it looks pretty sketchy: rain, snow, possible thunderstorms. Is Mt. Elbert significantly impacted by weather conditions such as these if I make an early morning entry and am off the summit by 11-12? Looks like the traverse between South Elbert and Elbert could be a bit of a challenge in these conditions...any thoughts from the experienced hikers / climbers on whether this is a doable project if I am using trekking poles and Yaktrax? Thanks
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Elbert this weekend (10-10-10)

Post by Robzilla »

Hey, where are you in Missouri? I'm in Springfield.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

YEAH, she can get her ass kicked by wx...

I was up when a thunderstorm rolled in a few weeks ago and she was unforgiving. Thankfully we had bivvies with us and could hunker down. We finally said screw it.... Trust me, if the wx says you aren't going to make it easily, you aren't going to make it easily.

That said, if you wouldnt mind someone who likes taking their time going with, I would be happy to go up again the weekend you are...

BP
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
50before60
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 50before60 »

Robzilla - What are the odds?? I'm in Springfield! Name is Art Duncan.
ATCtower - I'm a slow-moving fool unless struck by lightening. My plan now is to hit the southern trail at about 5:30 or so, maybe earlier. I always welcome a buddy. Let me know if this is something you're interested in. Thanks for the heads-up on the weather.
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

Good to meet you, my name is Rob Speer. I hope your climb goes well.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

My son and I are going to try Elbert sunday morning also. I'll check the weather before I leave. Might see you there.

Does anybody know what the road is like? Havent been there before, should I take the 4x4 or will my Mazda make it?
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

winmag4582001,

I have made it to the TH in my Charger, so you should be okay with your Mazda.