Snow conditions on Pike's Barr Trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Snow conditions on Pike's Barr Trail

Post by soybean56 »

Hi everyone,
Halfway thinking of doing the Barr Trail marathon route on Sunday. What're the snow conditions on the trail.
Has it gotten to late in the year to do Barr without snowshoes?
Thanks
DScott49
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Snow conditions on Pike's Barr Trail

Post by DScott49 »

Greetings, I live in Colorado Springs and see the peak every day. I have not been up there but can give a report from looking up. Most of the snow that was there has melted during this warm week. You can still see some in the more shadowed areas and I'm guessing some of the upper trail before the talus is muddy, but I'm sure snowshoes would be major overkill. The forecast here is for great weather in the 70s tomorrow and just starting to cool on Sunday but still close to 70. After that it goes to heck! Calling for possible snow and sleet on Tuesday/Wednesday down here at 6000 ft.

Have a great hike!

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was." Dag Hammarskjold
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." Dr. Seuss
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SharonH »

I have found that the micro spikes (Katulas) are nice to have when parts of the Barr Trail are snow packed or icy. There are certainly enough people on the trail on any given day that any snow would be compacted and potentially slippery. I have never had to use snow shoes on the Barr Trail.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There was no more than an inch of snow on Mt Rosa (11,500') on Thursday, with some icy spots. I imagine Barr will be similar, so the traction aids might be helpful. We didn't see any drifting.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

Up there today. Snow and ice for the last 1-2 miles but avoidable with careful stepping in all but a few places.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by soybean56 »

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Made it up and back in exactly 12 hours on Sunday. Absolutely gorgeous hike. There were only a few (5-10) places were you had to cross snow/ice, but these were short and easy.
Pretty neat making it to the summit and BAM! people.

Thanks for convincing me to get one last hike in before snowshoe time.
DScott49
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by DScott49 »

Congrats on completing the marathon! Nice hike, but it is long!

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was." Dag Hammarskjold
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." Dr. Seuss
casey_mc2010
Trip Reports (0)

Post by casey_mc2010 »

Three of us hiked on Thursday 28 October. It was clear until the 7.8 sign and had some insignificant patchy snow before Barr Camp. The snow became consistent until A-frame with 2-3 inches. After A frame the snow ranged from clear in exposed spots to deep drifts in shaded spots. The drifts were at least knee deep for several long stretches over the final two miles. There were a few icy spots on the 16 golden stairs. On the descent, much of the snow below A frame was turning to slush. Overall the trail was marked with footprints from at least four hikers. This warming weekend should provide a decent climb.