14er Climber = Blood Donor?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globehugger
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er Climber = Blood Donor?

Post by globehugger »

Donating is good. You get a cookie and a sticker. It's like being a kid again!!

I need to donate. I've gone a whole year without backpacking in a blacklisted country, so hopefully they'll take my blood. Plus, I'm a universal donor and got 2 transfusions in 2003. I owe.
make play while the sun shines
floodin1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by floodin1 »

I think I've seen the blood donation topic on here before, and I applaud and cannot express enough my thanks to those that make the effort for others you may never meet. After my lung transplant, I had some major complications and went thru 92 units of blood. I finally turned the corner and 7 years later am still kicking. I attended several dinners and thank you events for blood and tissue donors and met many people who regularly donate, some over 50 gallons (not all at once...I actually had someone ask me that). Meeting these different people from all walks of life and understanding that I wouldn't be here without the altruism of strangers is a truly humbling experience. So if my thanks isn't enough, hopefully the t-shirts or coffee mugs will sweeten the deal :).
Enjoying my second wind. Give life, Be an organ donor. Recieved Dbl lung transplant in 2003.
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SharonH »

Wish I could donate; I lived in the United Kingdom during the mad cow scare and am now permanently banned from donating.
hatidua
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hatidua »

Between malaria, typhoid, and a few other souvenirs from my travels, I seriously doubt anyone would want (or take) any blood I'd pump out. Add to that a severe fear of needles and I'm not likely to be spotted at many blood drives or IV drug use alleys.
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

I give regularly... On the mountain and at the blood bank... I give two pints of plasma... Allows me to drink less red wine with the same effect for a couple days... :D
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

I am a 2 gallon donor with Bonfils, and have probably given an additional gallon through other places, but I keep making myself ineligible. Was ineligible in 2002, 2008, and now will be ineligible the next 2 years ... all from being in countries which are malaria-prone. REALLY wish I could give more, it makes me feel extremely guilty for traveling and making myself ineligible as it's such a simple thing to do. I think when I become eligible again, I'm going to switch to donating platelets. My blood tests show I'm A+ (I wish every test I took was a blood test, I'd be a friggin' genius!).... which means that my blood is very common. Platelets take a lot longer, but I've got the time.

I proudly display my "2 gallon donor" pin on my backpack, and, in fact, I have a Bonfils Nalgene on my desk right now and a Bonfils beach towel in my gym bag. GO DONATE!! If for no other reason, you get free stuff ... and DELICIOUS white cheddar cheeze-its
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
Iguru
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

RA victim, meds for that (methotrexate), prevent me from being a donor.
But a friend has been donating for 35 years, and has 46, yes, 46 GALLON :shock: pins from the red cross.
That makes up for my not being able to donate.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
groomden
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by groomden »

i'm a blood donor that HATES needles. been given a year off since i had major abdominal surgery in january = ineligible to donate for a year. so i'm torn between thrilled at not being able to donate yet upset with myself because i'm enjoying the time off so much....
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Am on the low end of the size/weight limit for regular donations.
Donated earlier this year, it knocked me on my can for a good 3-4 weeks! :shock:
I'm shy now, but will reconsider coming out of hiding to donate sometime this winter. :D

Strong work, all you donors! =D> You guys rock! :bow:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I donated back in the early 80's, but stopped due to privacy concerns; it seems nobody would take my blood without also requiring my Social Security number. Has this changed, or do they still turn away donors who don't want to be victimized by identity thieves?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Jim Davies wrote:I donated back in the early 80's, but stopped due to privacy concerns; it seems nobody would take my blood without also requiring my Social Security number. Has this changed, or do they still turn away donors who don't want to be victimized by identity thieves?
They should be able to use your driver's license as ID rather than your SSN.
Although alot of centers still require your SSN for donation - they use the number to identify you electronically.
They may think you are an ALIEN ( :wink: :lol: ) if you don't provide a SSN.
Check into it, if you're inclined to donate.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
alpenglow
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpenglow »

My husband and I donate platelets rather than whole blood because Bonfils likes our blood types (less prevalent in the general pop.). This discussion is a timely reminder that we need to go in and spend some time with the vampire.