Avalanche on Kelso Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Avalanche on Kelso Ridge

Post by gonzalj »

Wesley,

In this season of deaths and lost people, I am very glad to hear that you are ok. I plan on summitting my 1st winter 14er next weekend on Quandary and after reading all the threads about everything this year, plan on trying to do as much research as possible to try to be as safe as possible. Was there any specific gear you used on your hike/climb that helped (and any comments would be appreciated)? Lastly, your comments about the NE slopes vs. SE slopes is greatly appreciated.
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by moon stalker »

Glad you guys are ok. I was on Kelso just two weeks ago, there sure has been quite a build up of snow in a short time.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Glad you're OK! Guess you'll really know those warning signs next time. Not being in Colorado at the moment I'm not familiar with the current warning levels. What was the risk warning for wind loaded ridges at the time?
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
pioletski
14ers: 58  58  6 
Trip Reports (48)

Post by pioletski »

HFS Carl, glad you're ok. Looks like it's game on already!
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo
dfish
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dfish »

http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_state_avo.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest report.
"There is probably no pleasure equal to the pleasure of
climbing a dangerous Alp, but it is a pleasure which is
confined strictly to people who can find pleasure in it."
-- Mark Twain
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

Hey Carl,
I'm really glad you are ok! Thanks for the warnings already! I'm kinda glad I stuck to rock this weekend.

-Mike
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Glad you guys are ok Carl! Thanks for posting info and pics - I was shocked to see an avy thread already.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Wow. Really glad everybody's ok. Thanks for the reminder to be careful.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

jimlup wrote:Not being in Colorado at the moment I'm not familiar with the current warning levels. What was the risk warning for wind loaded ridges at the time?
They haven't started identifying a level of danger for specific zones yet. Although there was a discussion re wind loading in the CAIC report. Was hard to miss the wind though as it was a steady 20 to 30mph on the ridge with gusts higher. We knew the wind was loading in areas, it was just that the areas we had assessed thus far hadn't formed a slab. Even where the slide occurred it seemed that the new snow was bonded together just enough to make it cohesive a layer. It was a risky time to be out, we weren't on our game, and should have stuck with the original plan... Grays Peak.
gonzalj wrote:I plan on summitting my 1st winter 14er next weekend on Quandary and after reading all the threads about everything this year, plan on trying to do as much research as possible to try to be as safe as possible. Was there any specific gear you used on your hike/climb that helped (and any comments would be appreciated)?
Enjoy the winter weather hike. Gaiters and some warm boots go a long way. Goggles and a balaclava are great when it gets windy. Standard route on Quandary is typically known as a pretty avy safe, although I have heard of a slide on the ridge in really bad conditions. That assumes of course you stay on route. Sounds like you're headed up there with a good group.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Wow. Glad you guys made it out safely!

No matter how many years I spend traveling in the backcountry out here, the speed at which winter arrives always surprises me a bit. I hiked two weeks ago in summer-like conditions with no snow around me. Then I went up Butler Gulch two days ago in blowing snow conditions that had me worrying about avalanches.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Crazy scary! Glad to hear everyone is ok. Sure does give you a slap of reality when you see avy posts.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Glad you're safe. Good (if not terrifying) reminder to get the avy-eyes out. Hopefully this year will at least be a little safer than last.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com