Conditions on Flat Top RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Conditions on Flat Top RMNP

Post by barbiesue53 »

Looking to hike Flat Top,RMNP on Sunday. Does anyone have current conditions for the area?? Thanks. O:)
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Flat Top RMNP

Post by Alan Arnette »

Was on Longs 10/29 (Thursday) somewhat nearby Flat Top and the snow was ankle to knee deep anytime a bit off trail below treeline. But snowshoes not needed by staying strictly on the trail. Above treeline, a bit less after the high winds but deep in drifts. There was enough snow overall that the trail was not clearly visible so being familiar with the area is important. Have fun!
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Thanks for the report, Alan. I'm taking a fellow up for a Longs attempt tomorrow, should be interesting. Hope all is well,
-Tom
TooLoose_ToTrek
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TooLoose_ToTrek »

I hiked the Flattop trail to treeline yesterday for lunch in the tundra. I saw two other guys - I think we were the first up the trail since the last snow. The first 1/2 mile will be very icy in the morning, by afternoon it was kind of like spring conditions. I put my snowshoes on at the Dream Lake overlook - the other two guys were postholing knee deep from there to where I stopped in the krummholz. It was somewhat breezy, especially once I got out of the trees. Gear up and have at it - it'll be a great time!
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Post by barbiesue53 »

Thanks for the reply...good to know what gear is best to bring.