Quandary Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Quandary Conditions

Post by Steve Gio »

Anyone been up there this week. Thinking about a trip up tomorrow and wondering on gear. Snowshoes required?
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Quandary Conditions

Post by djkest »

We were all up there Saturday, wonder if it actually ended up snowing since then? If not, I would bring micro spikes, but not snowshoes. Not quite enough snow for that in most places.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

Thanks.

When you say all does that me all 14ers members???
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Steve Gio wrote:Thanks.

When you say all does that me all 14ers members???
About 50 of us yeah :P

It was a couple inches of packed the whole way up, getting a bit deeper as you go along, and on the way back down (after 12ish) it got slushy as hell...

Only been getting warmer this week, I would guess conditions would be a bit muddy, possibly slick along the 3rd ridge up to the summit.

My assertations only of course ;)
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
tlbeveridge
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tlbeveridge »

I went up Thursday, Nov. 4th. It was my first 14er alone. I didn't use snowshoes or crampons. DIdn't even have gators. The snow has most definitely been melting, it was slick in places on the way up, and slushy all the way down. Deepest snow was through drifts about 1,500 feet below the summit, and they were only half way up my calf.

Started a little before 9am, had plenty of time to enjoy the summit, take rests, eat lunch, and enjoy the sun below the tree line before returning to my vehicle roughly about 330. All in all it was a great day! Only saw 3 people total, so it wasn't packed with tourists!

From the peak..
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 1799286059
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

bump---Anybody have any ski beta? Continuous snow from summit to TH? Coverage? And anybody interested in climbing it this saturday?
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

lostsheep5 wrote:bump---Anybody have any ski beta? Continuous snow from summit to TH? Coverage? And anybody interested in climbing it this saturday?
I skied the lower east bowl last week, before the latest series of storms. it was very firm sastrugi and breakable crust, not good coverage below treeline.

I checked out the east ridge from hoosier today, looks great above treeline. with anywhere from 2-4 feet of new snow (and likely much deeper drifts) it should be continuous from the summit but with a spotty base below treeline and the usual windscoured rocks on the upper saddle. there was fresh avy debris on hoosier ridge & northstar, windy up high all day today.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Jesse Peterson wrote:I skied the lower east bowl last week, before the latest series of storms. it was very firm sastrugi and breakable crust, not good coverage below treeline.

I checked out the east ridge from hoosier today, looks great above treeline. with anywhere from 2-4 feet of new snow (and likely much deeper drifts) it should be continuous from the summit but with a spotty base below treeline and the usual windscoured rocks on the upper saddle. there was fresh avy debris on hoosier ridge & northstar, windy up high all day today.
Did you get a good look at Cristo, by chance? We were considering climbing it Sunday but I was looking for more information. I was hoping the avy danger would subside by then and make a decent couloir climb.

Thanks,
Ryan
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

yeah, the cristo looked ok, the middle half was filled in, still pretty bony at the top and bottom though. you could see it getting cross-loaded this morning. coverage is improving but still far from 100%
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra