Snowshoeing

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Snowshoeing

Post by Winter8000m »

Anyone have information or knowledge/pictures of snow conditions right now for Snowshoeing? How's Saint Mary's looking? Anything close to Denver that has good snowshoe conditions right now?
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
altitude kamikazee
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowshoeing

Post by altitude kamikazee »

Heres a website with some possible choices of snowshoeing. Alot of them aren't tht close to Denver and the closest one is probably in Georgetown on this website.
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=14470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summiting is optional, getting down is mandatory.

"How do you eat an elephant??"
-one bite at a time

"life is a gift.......dont waste it."
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I'm not sure how St. mary's glacier is right now, but I do know it is a popular spot. the book Colorado snowshoeing is great with very detailed instructions on getting to snowshoeing trails all over the state and has very detailed info about the route, distance, elevation gain, etc. I just went snowshoeing up Boreas pass in Breck this past weekend and it was good and am planning on going up again to summit county this weekend.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Lost Lake Up in Nederland is a great trail (pretty short but nice) You can contact El Dorado Ski Resort to see how much snow they have received. That would give you an idea of what to expect in the trail.
mly-lvr
14ers: 26 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mly-lvr »

RMNP had some nice snow on saturday enroute to Fern lake. We used Yaktraxs on the snow packed trail but began to wish we had carried our snowshoes after about 2 miles. More snow has fallen.
The man who climbs only in good weather, starting from the huts and never bivouacking, appreciates the splendour of the mountains but not their mystery, the dark of their night, the depth of their sky above . . . How much he has missed!
Gaston Rebuffat
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

I there will be lots of people looking to go shoeing this weekend. Lets keep this post going and see if we can get the nice mountain folk to post updates of snow in their area. Thinking I-70 will be a mess this weekend so I am thinking either Indian Peaks, RMNP, or maybe even Kenosha Pass area for Saturday or Sunday.

If anyone has info please share. Thanks. :D
DScott49
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by DScott49 »

Will be staying up in Estes Park for Thanksgiving. Plan to do some snowshoeing in RMNP while I'm there. Will post a conditions report to this thread afterward. Pray for snow!!!

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was." Dag Hammarskjold
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." Dr. Seuss
Zaxxon
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zaxxon »

I snowshoed on the Bear Lake trail last Sunday. Conditions were beautiful. I'm considering going back this weekend with some other folks, but the Estes Park forecast is looking awfully warm and dry this week. Any thoughts on how that impacts the conditions up near Bear Lake? I know the lake is higher and gets more snow than Estes.

Also considering Indian Peaks or Kenosha. Would love some recommendations from you fine folks.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Zaxxon wrote:Also considering Indian Peaks or Kenosha. Would love some recommendations from you fine folks.
Snotel is your friend for snow depths in various parts of the state.

If Bear Lake was decent enough for last week, I would expect the same or better with the storm, even with a few days of warmer temps.
Eldora/Ned got some decent snow as well but haven't heard any reports.

I drove Kenosha Pass last Saturday and there was nothing, so I would recommend against that, thinking that IP or RMNP at least had a base before the latest storm.
Hoosier Pass, though a bit further, was exquisite!
Zaxxon
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks for the input!
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I was planning on doing Summit County/Breck (maybe the Peaks trail or McCullough Gulch) and know that conditions are good, but would also be up for RMNP (although I don't know those conditions).
The Joe
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The Joe »

I am fairly new to snowshoeing and am planning on some trips this winter. The first question I have is what kind of clothing would be recommended? Of coarse I understand that changes with the ambient temperature. The upper part of the body is easy to adapt by adding or removing a layer but the lower part of the body is a little trickier.

I am also wondering where is a good place to take kids? I have a nine year old daughter that has one short trip under her belt.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"