sawtooth question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shaun
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

sawtooth question

Post by shaun »

I was curious what the terrain was like if you were to descend to Abyss Lake from the notch where you would ordinarily cross over to the west side ledges on the sawtooth ridge?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: sawtooth question

Post by Monster5 »

Easy cIII to talus hopping if you leave at a reasonable spot. At least nothing harder than what you've already been through. Btw the climbing up to the notch is the hardest part of the route in my opinion. You'll get some exposure on the ledges, but nothing to really worry about going over. The scree gulley up to the ridge isn't as bad as it looks, but it is loose.
d.jpg
d.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 992 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

It's not technically very difficult but it is quite tedious. There isn't much of a trail so you have to pick your way through the boulders and talus on the way down to the lake. Expect to be fairly tired out by the time you reach Abyss Lake.
Where ever you are... There you are.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Just curious why you would choose this route if you were going to the lake.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
shaun
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shaun »

Thanks for the info all, very helpful.

speth, I wouldn't want to take this route to the lake at all, I was just curious about the terrain under the ridge and the general options of how to ditch off the ridge in the event that bad weather blows in.