Mt. Elbert Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Mt. Elbert Question

Post by hop2it »

Hi all,

I was thinking of hiking Mt. Elbert in August 2011...plenty of time to plan...hah..hah...! But was wondering the advantages and disadvantages of the different Trail Heads up the mountain. I like a challenge, but nothing techincal. Plus, the only other trail 14'er I've hiked roundtrip was Pikes Peak via Barr Trail. So, which would be better Black Cloud Trail or the route starting from the Colorado Trail Head? Also, how's the weather in the area in August (usually??).

Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Mt. Elbert Question

Post by Bean »

None of the trail options present any technical challenge, and they're all good options. Plan on being back down below treeline before afternoon if you don't want to be caught by a lightning storm.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
skulldagger57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skulldagger57 »

Like Hop2it, I was planning on a 2011 trip to Mt Elbert. Since I am new to the site and the info, are the posted distances one way or round trip?
Terry
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

The milage numbers, listed as "Round-trip Length" in the route descriptions, are round-trip distances.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Fairlight
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Fairlight »

I hiked Elbert on July 29 starting from the Half Moon-North trailhead-my first 14er. It's a long one with several false summits, but well worth it with beautiful scenery all the way. Make sure you spend a few days in Leadville or at sufficient altitude. Coming from a lower elevation this will make your hike day more enjoyable. Count on daily thunder and rain anytime after 11 a.m. Try to be on your way down by then.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8691
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The Southeast Ridge route is less traveled than the two main routes, which can be nice but it also means that at times the trail isn't obvious. It's a very scenic route and provides nice views of the mountains to the south while hiking. What most don't like about it is that you go over the sub peak South Elbert on the way there and on the way back adding over 200 feet of elevation gain each way.

The Northeast Ridge route is well traveled and easy to follow, usually very busy on weekends. This one is shorter and has less elevation gain than the Southeast Ridge though making it easier.

So I'd say the Southeast Ridge route is more enjoyable, but the Northeast Ridge is easier.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
mikemullen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mikemullen »

You might check out lodging at the Mr. Elbert Lodge. You can walk out the lodge or cabin door and hike up the Black Cloud Trail. I believe that's the SE Ridge. http://mount-elbert.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Hi everyone! Thank you for your input and help. I know I have some time to plan. And well Joey3, Abby sure is a cute Marmot! :D I hope her poor tooth doesn’t end up in her nose though :( . Maybe I will meet her along the way.

I have been looking into lodging as well....Leadville seems like they have reasonable rates at hotel....but I'll check out that link as well!

Oh and I know that there is no real 'set answer for this'.....but how long does it take the average hiker to do this trail? It took me and my friend longer than expected to hike Pikes Peak in August/September.

Also, this may not be a topic for the forum....but I was recently diagnosed with Factor Five Leiden...a blood clotting disorder. My blood has the potential to clot more easily than most.....they can end up in the legs, arms, or even the lungs. YIKES! I go to a family doctor next month and will ask her questions about this. But I have been trying to find out if hiking in higher altitudes can raise the risk of blood clots. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again for your help! I'm pretty excited about my next trip and all the planning that goes along with it! :D
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

http://www.fvleiden.org/ask/110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have emergency medication with you and a bracelet such as road ID or something. Good luck and I bet you will be just fine. Enjoy.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Oh and don't forget if the Leadville 100 bike race is going on everything will be booked up for the weekend of August 13th because of the race.

http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/lt100r ... Races.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Dex wrote:If I remember correctly, it was on Elbert that I went down the wrong route from the summit - up North East, then down South East. Once I figured I was on the wrong trail I bushwhacked it to the NE. It was OK following game trails but there were some steep areas.
So watch your route when descending from the summit.
I did the exact same thing this September. Once I realized what I had done (and stopped cursing my existence), I had to bushwhack back to the NE trail. It was rough going and added an extra hour to my hike.
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Thanks for the information on Factor Five Leiden. I really hope I'll still be able to go....I just love hiking. It's hard however to find people from West Virginia to want to travel all the way to CO with me on vacation to do these trips....hah..hah...! But I dont mind doing them by myself....it's just safety that I am concerned about, obviously.

Oh, and I hate when trails aren't well marked! I did a trail that split...I think it was Rapsberry Mountain (in Coloraodo)...luckily my friend and I took the right course. We should have had a topo! All I had were some internet directions.....in hindsite I see that I should plan these trips out better. I just had no way of knowing at the time. But it all turned out okay. I have had that happen several times though....sometimes the trail splits in several different directions . I wonder why they aren't always well marked ?? Frustrating!

I want to get Gerry Roache's Colorado 14'ers when the new edition comes out in the Spring! Even if I never get to hike all of the mountains, I love at least getting to read about it. :D . And I plan on hiking as much as I can!