Crampons on Castle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
outdoorpanda80
14ers: 9  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Crampons on Castle

Post by outdoorpanda80 »

Will I need crampons on a winter and/or early spring ski descent of the North Couloir of Castle or could I manage with ski boots?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Crampons on Castle

Post by Scott P »

It depends on the conditions.

When we were there mid-April 2006, the snow in the couloir was mostly too soft for crampons (take an ice axe regardless), but they did come in very handy on the ridge. If conditions are stable (very stable), climbing the couloir as an ascent route is preferable over the ridge routes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
dannymiller15
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dannymiller15 »

I've done it in hiking boots with no additional traction aids when the snow is soft, but would seriously recommend taking crampons in case the snow is harder. Also, I would definitely recommend an ice ace for self arrest if you slip.
Last edited by dannymiller15 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

You could take crampons that fit on your ski boots, and use them if warranted.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes