Castle Peak questions.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Castle Peak questions.

Post by kaiman »

bergsteigen wrote:Snow cover will vary by year and season. So far Colorado is getting a lot of snow this year. How hard or slushy the snow is will depend on the recent weather. One August (2008) I was up there, and the snow could be avoided, and was soft. Last July 2010, the snow was hard and very icy, and could not be avoided.

My Advice: Take crampons, decide when you see the snow. Otherwise you may have to turn around! That's a long way to go to turn around. But last July, I saw a guy do just that because he was ill prepared and couldn't safely cross the icy snow.
+ 1 Good advice. Last year when I climbed it in August it was pretty much dry, but a few years ago when I was up there in August I had to break out the crampons to get across the ice/hard snow on the head wall.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick