Mt. Elbert/Mt. Yale Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
flatlander88
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Elbert/Mt. Yale Conditions

Post by flatlander88 »

Hello again,

We are planning to head to Leadville on Thursday, spending Friday getting acclimated and finding TH,then try Mt. Elbert on Saturday (Mt. Yale is the contingency hike). I know its a bit early but we have to decide if either hike will even be an option for next weekend because of some gear and hotel reservations. Wednesday is the last day to cancel. Has anyone been up Mt. Elbert or Mt. Yale lately? I did call the ranger district and they told me they have had a lot of snow but last she knew the trail was still visible. Also I did read the latest conditions report on Mt. Yale, anything change of the weekend? Looks like the extended forecast for each mountain is between 10% and 40% throughout the week. Thanks once again for the help.
Flatlander88
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Elbert/Mt. Yale Conditions

Post by tmathews »

Last edited by tmathews on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

I noticed a CIAC avy incident on Yale Friday 1/7 - not sure if it was some one from here.

http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_re ... &accfm=off
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Yes, that was me.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Ramfan24
14ers: 30  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ramfan24 »

I was on Yale (From Denny Creek) on Saturday. There is an easy to follow trail the whole way. Not sure if they got nailed on Sunday or not.

We used snowshoes all the way up to the saddle but mainly for traction. We carried them on the way down and just went with microspikes.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Flatlander88, I was in the group that climbed Elbert on 1/8.
We used the S Elbert TH, plowed in winter, easily accessible by car, to hike the E ridge of Elbert.
The trail was largely boot packed below treeline. We didn't need our snowshoes on the ascent at all. We stashed our snowshoes at treeline.
Above treeline, you can see where the trail goes, and it's largely slabby crusted snow up there. There were a few places where microspikes were useful.
On the descent, we put our snowshoes on below treeline as the snow had softened and there were more posthole opportunities.
We had a great day, 11.8 mi r/t and around 5200 ft of elev gain per GPS.
Hope that helps!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
flatlander88
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander88 »

Thanks for the information so far everyone. I'll watch the forum as much as I can the next few days to pick up on any new information.
Flatlander88
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

If you hike Elbert Saturday, say hello when you pass by our camp on your way down. The CMC is holding their annual Elbert winter climb/overnight this weekend, looking like about 12 of us or so. We're not leaving the t/h until maybe close to noon though, making treeline/camp at about 2:30pm, thanks in advance for the tracks! don't miss the right turn right at a creek crossing. There should be usable tracks for you on your way up from sunny1, and a huge track (from our ascent) for your descent below treeline. This is a fine hike in January and it is as Avy-safe as you can get, assuming you're reasonably close to the "normal" route. There is no terrain (that's not easily avoidable) that's over 22-23 degrees slope. Its a walk, just like summer. Well, sometimes that snow gets pretty deep though.

I've climbed Yale a couple times in the winter, and there IS an Avy-safe route if you grab the ridge to the right of the summit and follow it instead of the normal route, which some claim is usually Avy-safe, but not safe enough for my comfort. Yale is a tougher winter climb IMHO, but very doable.
tianda
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tianda »

I'm climbing Elbert this weekend also... any need for crampons?
flatlander88
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander88 »

Well, I have to decide today about our trip. Any advice on the trip now? The percent chance of snow has really remained the same. I know no one can tell me exactly what to do but I don't know Colorado's weather at all.
Thanks
Flatlander88
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

flatlander88 wrote:Well, I have to decide today about our trip. Any advice on the trip now? The percent chance of snow has really remained the same. I know no one can tell me exactly what to do but I don't know Colorado's weather at all.
Thanks
Flatlander88
NO ONE knows CO weather at all, join the club. Use a "windshield forecast", its your best bet. We're certainly climbing Elbert thiss weekend, no matter what. 10 years running in January, all sorts of weather. I go by: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate gear".
flatlander88
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander88 »

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate gear"... Awesome :D

I guess you never know till you try.

I hope to see you on the mountain.

Thanks
Flatlander88