Vail LIft Tickets

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Vail LIft Tickets

Post by CO Native »

How much is Ski Sunlight this year? That's a fun little hill. Some sweet double diamonds for that small of an operation.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Bitch, bitch bitch. We hear this every year, "Waa, waa ,waa, Vail's a rip off; those money hungry bastards, yada,yada,yada." Pay up or go back country. Vail Resorts has made the investment and they've let a free market system decide where the price should be. Yes, it would be great if lift tickets were $20, they're not... get over it.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

Skin up?
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

edhaman wrote:My suggestion would be to tell the money-gouging SOBs who run Vail to go to hell, by skiing someplace else. And don't forget, Vail is going to charge you at least another $14 to park, and still make you walk a couple of hundred yards through the village to get to the slopes. There are a lot of cheaper, and just as good if not better, places to ski.
Keep up the good work...sending skiers elsewhere means more runs for me. Might I suggest taking up golf at a world class resort? Greens fees at Peeble Beach are a mere $530.
RenoBob wrote:Bitch, bitch bitch. We hear this every year, "Waa, waa ,waa, Vail's a rip off; those money hungry bastards, yada,yada,yada." Pay up or go back country. Vail Resorts has made the investment and they've let a free market system decide where the price should be. Yes, it would be great if lift tickets were $20, they're not... get over it.
+1
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

RenoBob wrote:Bitch, bitch bitch. We hear this every year, "Waa, waa ,waa, Vail's a rip off; those money hungry bastards, yada,yada,yada." Pay up or go back country. Vail Resorts has made the investment and they've let a free market system decide where the price should be. Yes, it would be great if lift tickets were $20, they're not... get over it.
Whining about whining = AWESOME!
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Doug Shaw wrote:
Whining about whining = AWESOME!
Aw, Doug:
If I was really whining I would have added a rant about the weekend I-70 parking lot, Mt.Evans fees, changing Kit Carson's name and why we can't have world peace at 14ers.com. I wasn't even warmed up. =;
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

RenoBob wrote: Aw, Doug:
If I was really whining I would have added a rant about the weekend I-70 parking lot, Mt.Evans fees, changing Kit Carson's name and why we can't have world peace at 14ers.com. I wasn't even warmed up. =;
Yeah, every one of those things is the worst thing ever! :mrgreen:
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Sounds like someone drank the Vail Resort Inc. kool aid.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

CO Native wrote:How much is Ski Sunlight this year? That's a fun little hill. Some sweet double diamonds for that small of an operation.
I think it's $50 a day. I have a season's pass and don't know that it comes with a discount for friends. If it does, look me up.
I often just skin up. It's almost as fast as the old lifts...
The East Ridge has some nice runs.
Cosmic Ski Race will be there this Saturday with a different course this year. Unfortunately, I've got other things to do or I'd do it again.
http://www.sunlightmtn.com/events
Looks like a tough race this year. Some steep up and downhill skiing there!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

Sometimes you can find discount tickets on http://www.liftopia.com (Sunlight often posts deals on there too), many of them are last minute and it depends on the dates. If all else fails - I have a Co Pass and hardly ever use my 'ski with a friend' tickets since virtually everyone I go up with has either Epic or Co Pass. Send me a PM I will see if I am up there around the same dates.

On a side note;
Wolf Creek has 'Local Appreciation Days' throughout the year (dates posted on their site here: http://www.wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek- ... lendar.php). As stated on their site; No ID required - everyone is a local. I have hit those a few times, $30 bucks for Wolf Creek is almost worth the drive, especially when they get that epic snow.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by shaunster_co on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

If you don't like Vail's $102 lift tickets you can always save 3 bucks and go to Aspen ($99) or save 4 and go to Telluride ($98). If you really want to save some green, head to Winter Park for a mere $97, maybe you can buy yourself some breakfast at McDonalds on the drive up with the $5 bucks you saved :D

Okay, yes I am being sarcastic, but you need to be in order to put things in perspective. Every so-called "major" resort in the state has lift tickets over $95/day, so why pick on Vail so much? Vail's season pass is good at 5 resorts in Colorado and 3 in Tahoe, I ski over 30 days a year, so my $580 epic pass comes out to under $20/day, and if my firm gets that project in Tahoe, I can ski Heavenly, Northstar and Sierra-at-Tahoe when I'm there for no extra cost.

Let's face the facts, day skiing at the major resorts is a ripoff no matter which one it is, you have to go to the smaller resorts unless you get a season pass. Unless you go to a smaller resort, day skiing is essentially dead.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

And to add on to the last post, if you're paying to park at any of the major resorts (and that includes Vail) then you're doing it wrong. I say it every year and people think I'm nuts. Granted, if you want to get to the resort at 10am and park for free that may not happen but it's not the fault of Vail that you wanted to sleep in.