Longs Peak winter conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gizzmo616
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak winter conditions

Post by Gizzmo616 »

Hey all,
So i was thinking about attempting a winter hike up the base of longs this weekend. I'm not going to summit but i was going to head towards chasm lake or as far as conditions permit. I've hiked the keyhole route multiple times in the summer so i know the route pretty well, but I've never done it in the winter and Im wondering if anyone has and has any suggestions or if anyone knows how the conditions are like snow depth and all that jazz. Also if anyone knows how the road it getting to the TH I know i need four wheel drive but I was just wondering how far down the road if at all we'll need to park.

If this undertaking is insane and anyone has a suggestion for a better more sane hike I would love to hear them. I was also considering taking on a summit of Quandry this winter so if that makes more sense please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.
hatidua
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak winter conditions

Post by hatidua »

Gizzmo616 wrote: I was also considering taking on a summit of Quandry this winter so if that makes more sense please let me know.
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Gizzmo616 wrote:Hey all,
So i was thinking about attempting a winter hike up the base of longs this weekend. I'm not going to summit but i was going to head towards chasm lake or as far as conditions permit. I've hiked the keyhole route multiple times in the summer so i know the route pretty well, but I've never done it in the winter and Im wondering if anyone has and has any suggestions or if anyone knows how the conditions are like snow depth and all that jazz. Also if anyone knows how the road it getting to the TH I know i need four wheel drive but I was just wondering how far down the road if at all we'll need to park.

If this undertaking is insane and anyone has a suggestion for a better more sane hike I would love to hear them. I was also considering taking on a summit of Quandry this winter so if that makes more sense please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.
The road to the TH should be fine with 2-wheel drive. It is paved and is normally plowed. I go up there pretty often and the trail is typically packed from snowshoes. I haven't been up there in a few weeks though so to be safe you might want to bring snowshoes. I usually wear microspikes only. If you pass Chasm Junction toward Chasm Lake the trail can be sloped and ice covered so you might want to bring crampons if going to the lake.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I haven't been up this season (and probably won't this winter) but I'm familiar with the area. Fully agree with unclegar, the road up is almost always plowed shortly after a snowstorm and it's paved so you should have no problems. One tip: there's a funky bend in the road that is deceptive, if the road is snowpacked I'd really watch your speed on the descent otherwise you could end up in the ditch. I've come close a few times. Even on a balmy weekend in winter the lot won't be full, no parking down the hill is needed. Trail is almost always hard pack, unless a major snow has just happened. All things being equal, e.g. weather, go on Sundays, the Saturday folks will have been your snowplow. Once at the lightning sign (near the bridge/treeline) there is usually a winter track straight up. It's faster and easier to navigate in the winter; IMO safer too, easy to get disoriented on the summer route there. I suspect you'll need snowshoes in that area, hard to say. Rarely necessary beyond Jim's Grove. Note that the section between Chasm Junction and Chasm Lake has slid in the past, use your judgment there. And yes, when actually getting up to Chasm Lake crampons are IMO advisable. Lots of ice in the area (e.g. from the old ranger shack to the lake it's a grade II ice climb). Finally, Longs in the winter is of course a different animal than a summer hike. Bring the usual winter stuff, but also spare mitts, a good facemask, storm (yellow lense) goggles and a great headlamp. Just my opinions.

Have fun, be safe.
-Tom
stillwell
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stillwell »

I climbed up to the chasm lake junction on Superbowl weekend and the weekend before that, last year. We parked in the parking lot in a Dodge Challenger. Trail below tree line was well packed, above tree line it was fairly wind blown and crusty. As the day wore on, there were times when one leg would drop in up to your thigh and I was thinking it would be pretty easy to break a leg that way, so be careful. It's a real nice hike.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

TomPierce wrote:I haven't been up this season (and probably won't this winter) but I'm familiar with the area. Fully agree with unclegar, the road up is almost always plowed shortly after a snowstorm and it's paved so you should have no problems. One tip: there's a funky bend in the road that is deceptive, if the road is snowpacked I'd really watch your speed on the descent otherwise you could end up in the ditch. I've come close a few times. Even on a balmy weekend in winter the lot won't be full, no parking down the hill is needed. Trail is almost always hard pack, unless a major snow has just happened. All things being equal, e.g. weather, go on Sundays, the Saturday folks will have been your snowplow. Once at the lightning sign (near the bridge/treeline) there is usually a winter track straight up. It's faster and easier to navigate in the winter; IMO safer too, easy to get disoriented on the summer route there. I suspect you'll need snowshoes in that area, hard to say. Rarely necessary beyond Jim's Grove. Note that the section between Chasm Junction and Chasm Lake has slid in the past, use your judgment there. And yes, when actually getting up to Chasm Lake crampons are IMO advisable. Lots of ice in the area (e.g. from the old ranger shack to the lake it's a grade II ice climb). Finally, Longs in the winter is of course a different animal than a summer hike. Bring the usual winter stuff, but also spare mitts, a good facemask, storm (yellow lense) goggles and a great headlamp. Just my opinions.

Have fun, be safe.
-Tom
I second all this. I have not tried the winter shortcut, but the section exactly at tree line on the summer trail is notoriously windblown and easy to lose the trail on the return trip. It has happened to me twice in one week, which was most annoying to say the least. The windblown snow doesn't show any tracks.

People rarely mention it but like stated above, the snowfield has slid before. It usually has a well traveled path across and is south facing which reduces risk on some level.

Those are about the only challenges that come to mind as far as the trail itself.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

I just went up the trail yesterday and would advise snowshoes if you are going soon. The wind has done a pretty good job of erasing all but the lower tracks. I did not see any tracks on the trail once I hit the switchbacks. Once past the switchbacks the trail was not obvious in places. I am pretty familiar with the trail below Chasm Junction so I was able to follow it but wasn't sure I was on it a few times. Plenty of good advice from others on this thread. If weekends work for you, I agree that a Sunday might help you with the tracks. I typically hike on Thu or Fri so many times I don't see anyone.

Here is a picture of the trail after the first switchbacks (still below the lightning bridge).
Longs Peak East Trail Jan 13 2011.jpg
Longs Peak East Trail Jan 13 2011.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

And one of another hiker that was smart enough to bring snowshoes.
Snowshoe Hare LP Trail 011311.JPG
Snowshoe Hare LP Trail 011311.JPG (41.04 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Also, no problem getting to the parking lot in my Honda Civic.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Don Eberl
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Don Eberl »

Be careful if you plan on going all of the way to Chasm Lake. The snow off of Mt Lady Washington has been known to slide.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett