Recommend a multi-day 14er backcountry destination

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
llamaman
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Recommend a multi-day 14er backcountry destination

Post by llamaman »

I'm going to plan a 3-5 night outing for a group for this summer. My goal is to find a backcountry camp area near a lake and that provides access to a few 14ers, but also offers other hike options for those in our group who may not want to do a 14er everyday. Chicago Basin is on the list, but I'm not sure the group will have the time to make that trip (the driving and train basically adds two days to the trip). Two options I'm looking into already include 1) South Colony Lakes in the Sangres, 2) Horn Fork basin in the Sawatch.

Are there other good options in the Sawatch range? Is there any good camping in the Pine Creek basin, north of Harvard, south of Belford/Oxford? Any other places I should research?

Thanks.
pstew85
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Recommend a multi-day 14er backcountry destination

Post by pstew85 »

Missouri Gulch would give you easy access to a handful of 14ers. There's camping close to the road (county road 390) or near tree line if you want to hike Missouri, Oxford or Belford.
jet
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jet »

There is good camping pretty much all through the Pine Creek valley. Camping near little Johns cabin will give access to Harvard, Oxford and Belford. Columbia and Missouri are also doable from there but you would need a good day. There are more camping sites in the upper valley that would shorten the approach to Missouri. Hiking up to Silver King lake would be a good diversion for a non 14er day. The streams and ponds have trout if fishing would be an activity. Browns Lake would let you access Shav/Tab and Antero. We hiked in from the trailhead and did not take the road from Baldwin. It was a nice hike, about 6 miles if I remember correctly. The non standard routes for the Sawatch 14ers can be much more interesting than the standard routes.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

I would go for South Colony. If people want an easier 14er, Humboldt is there and scrambling options like the Crestones and Broken Hand Peak. The ridge over to Bear's Playground isn't bad if 13er Columbia Point and Obstruction offers options as well. Those that want a break can just explore both lakes for a rest day. The views there never get old.

Tim
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

llamaman wrote:I'm going to plan a 3-5 night outing for a group for this summer. My goal is to find a backcountry camp area near a lake and that provides access to a few 14ers, but also offers other hike options for those in our group who may not want to do a 14er everyday. Chicago Basin is on the list, but I'm not sure the group will have the time to make that trip (the driving and train basically adds two days to the trip). Two options I'm looking into already include 1) South Colony Lakes in the Sangres, 2) Horn Fork basin in the Sawatch.

Are there other good options in the Sawatch range? Is there any good camping in the Pine Creek basin, north of Harvard, south of Belford/Oxford? Any other places I should research?

Thanks.
My two cents are as follows..... South Colony Lakes area. You have a great hike in to the lakes from the road closure, Humboldt, Crestone Peak and Needle are accessible and the views from that area are awesome. There are terrific, well kept camping places at the end of the road too. Another place I love is the Lily Lake TH along the Huerfano River. Lindsey is a great hike, a little harder than many others, but there are lots of awesome hikes along there that don't involve a 14er also. The views of Blanca and Ellingwood from the meadow about a half mile in are some of the best Colorado has to offer. Another great place would be at the Winfield campsite on CR 390 between Buena Vista and Twin Lakes. Huron, LaPlata, Oxford, Belford and Missouri all have THs on this road. This area is a good ways off the highway, so it is nice and relatively secluded. It is right off Clear Creek so if water was needed for filtering, it is there. This is another place I plan on camping again soon. A final suggestion would be the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch TH area not far from Lake City...again there are good 14ers nearby in Handies, Redcloud and Sunshine, but again, there are good hikes besides the 14ers too. A nice little stroll around Whitecross Mountain will get you to American Basin, which has to be seen to believe...just gorgeous and you really just can't beat the quiet, secluded San Juan Range. These are just a few places that I have actually been myself. I am sure you will get many suggestions, I am just speaking from my own experience.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
llamaman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

Thanks guys! South Colony Lakes seems like a winner.

huffy13 -- I like that San Juan suggestion too.
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

South Colony Lakes is always a bit crowded for my tastes. I second Pine Creek basin. Keep going past Little John's Cabin for some great camping spots with easy access to Missouri, Emerald and Iowa. Crossing over Elk Head Pass you can bag Belford and Oxford as well. There would appear to be a reasonable route to Harvard from this basin as well. We spent a weekend up this drainage and didn't see a soul until we hit the crowds atop Missouri who had all taken the standard route. The ridge west of Harvard is very dramatic and a day hike to Silver King Lake (as mentioned above) would be a good excursion for a group not wanting to tackle a summit.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Another recommendation for Pine Creek; great backpacking, great experience just being in Missouri Basin, loved the views from Emerald Peak, the wildlife, the relative solitude...
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Let me add another I just thought of.

You could backpack into Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn from the north from Silver Jack Reservoir, very beautiful with access to two 14ers, several high 13ers and great backpacking. There is a trip report on the site from a year or two ago for this trip.
Jeremy Bauman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Jeremy Bauman »

Are you sure you can't do Chicago basin? We can make it a 3 day trip driving 9+ hrs from Texas! The trick is to take the train from silverton instead of Durango. Since it gets there later in the day, you will have to move to get to Chicago basin before dark but it's not bad. I've done it twice with my 56 year old dad and he wants to go back next year!
Anyway, I just thought you'd like to know that it can be done in 3 days if you plan it that way.
llamaman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

Ok, so I"ll do more research on South Colony Lakes, Pine Creek basin, and maybe one or two of the San Juan suggestions.

Unless we decide to make it a longer trip, Chicago Basin is out. With so many beautiful places all over the state, I see no reason to spend 20+ hours of a 3-5 day trip traveling. But I would definitely like to go there eventually (I've backpacked near there before).
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

You may already know about this one as this is usually the first recommendation...The Four Pass Loop.

http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/wj/4pass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;