Mt. Sherman Retake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barb4rian
14ers: 44  2  3 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Sherman Retake

Post by Barb4rian »

My group and I tried Sherman a few weeks ago and never even made it to the winter closure because the snowfall from the night before left 2' drifts on the road about 4 miles from the closure. Our cars are less than adequate for such adverse conditions. We went the weekend that big storm pounded the mountains (Jan. 15 or so), yeah, not a brilliant idea but anyway. I was curious as to how often they plow the road to the winter closure and when would be an ideal time to have a rematch with Sherman (sometime this winter, one winter summit hasn't satisfied my hunger one bit!). Also, is it worth hauling the ski gear, board in my case, up this one or best to just hike/glissade the return trip?

Thanks for the help 14ers! Didn't see much info about the frequency of plowing in my research of Sherman so thought I'd ask around.
Markwise
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 31 1
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Mt. Sherman Retake

Post by Markwise »

My group and I hiked Sherman on Feb 4. Road was plowed to the Leavick site making for a very reasonable hike. Our group consensus was that skiing/boarding would work great right now. We tried to glissade some on the way down but had problems with either the slopes not being steep enough or the snow too soft.

I just posted a fully detailed trip report on our hike today if that would be of any help.

Mark
Barb4rian
14ers: 44  2  3 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Sherman Retake

Post by Barb4rian »

Thanks for the info Mark! I will definitely read your trip report. We were planning on having Sherman be our first winter summit (Quandary took that title instead) but for some reason it never happened, hahah. I'm very anxious to get it done.