Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon registration today

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon registration today

Post by Jim Davies »

On your marks, get set...
Registration for Ascent Wave 2 (1,070 spots) begins at noon Wednesday, March 16. Ascent Wave 1 (760 spots) opens at 12:30 p.m. while the Marathon signup (Field 1 - 390 spots and Field 2 - 420 spots) is at 1 p.m.
http://www.outtherecolorado.com/blogs/r ... esday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/entry.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon registration today

Post by peter303 »

same day as Leadville 100 running race :cry:
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

I would like to register for the Ascent, will be using my time from the Denver Colfax half-marathon on 5/15 to qualify to register.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

Registered for the Ascent, and the Leadville Heavy Half. Rounding it off with the Death Valley Trail Marathon. Should be quite the year. The irony is that my time in the marathon might beat my time in either of the halfs.

B-Thom, I think the Ascent will be filled up long before May (one wave of the marathon is already full, and the other will be within the hour). So, plan on this year's Colfax being your qualifier for next year's Ascent.

Good luck to everyone running (or walking or hiking)!
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

summers wrote:So, plan on this year's Colfax being your qualifier for next year's Ascent.
Thanks for that info! I'm not in it for the competition, just competing against myself really. Curious to see how 13.1 on pavement will feel compared to long hikes on trails and talus at altitude...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

peter303 wrote:same day as Leadville 100 running race :cry:
Could always do both...
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

Bthom, we're all just competing against ourselves. I'm no threat to win an award, and that's OK. I'm just out to have fun, and embrace the challenge. I think that's true of a lot of people.

The biggest difference I noted when I ran the Colfax last year (as my qualifier for Pikes) was that my quads were really sore a couple of days later, and the scenery in north Aurora was a lot worse than any mountain.
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

B-Thom wrote:
summers wrote:So, plan on this year's Colfax being your qualifier for next year's Ascent.
Thanks for that info! I'm not in it for the competition, just competing against myself really. Curious to see how 13.1 on pavement will feel compared to long hikes on trails and talus at altitude...
13.1 on pavement are easier and are ugly in most ways. 13.1 on Pikes are more psychologically/physically difficult and much more beautiful. If I were you, I would hike the entirety of the Barr Trail before you do the Ascent. If I had done that, I would have been in a much better place since I would have had a better idea of where to push my speed harder and where to not push as hard. I think the hardest part of the whole thing is you can hear the people on the load speakers from the summit finish line many miles before you are at Treeline, which makes it harder to gauge how close/far you really are. You are lucky because you will have a longer period of time to prep and train.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
abrowland
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by abrowland »

Save yourself the $105--you can hike the mountain for free 363 days of the year. Try to beat a time of less than 4:15 and you're doing great!
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

abrowland wrote:Save yourself the $105--you can hike the mountain for free 363 days of the year. Try to beat a time of less than 4:15 and you're doing great!
Point taken, however you bump that up to 365 days a year as there is no such thing as a reserved or closed Barr Trail--it's National Forest and available to the public every day of the year. True also on Barr Trail Mountain Race day in July. Hikers, and especially large packers, are a bit annoying on race days but everyone understands and works with the requirement to share. Still, race days provide an energetic atmosphere that you can't get on an average day.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Sugar Madison wrote:
Could always do both...
Generally not in the same year. Leadville goes from Saturday 4AM to Sunday 4AM. The speedsters are finish by dusk, though most people after midnight.
Pikes Peak starts at Saturday 7AM with most finishing early afternoon.

Funny, last year I had stopped at Indpendence Pass Wednesday before Leadville 100.
We saw these running studs finishing a run across the 12K' -3K' rolling hills there.
i asked them about Leadville, but they told me they were doing Peaks which was the same day last year too.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

peter303 wrote:
Sugar Madison wrote:
Could always do both...
Generally not in the same year. Leadville goes from Saturday 4AM to Sunday 4AM. The speedsters are finish by dusk, though most people after midnight.
Pikes Peak starts at Saturday 7AM with most finishing early afternoon.

Funny, last year I had stopped at Indpendence Pass Wednesday before Leadville 100.
We saw these running studs finishing a run across the 12K' -3K' rolling hills there.
i asked them about Leadville, but they told me they were doing Peaks which was the same day last year too.
That was generally said with a heavy amount of sarcasm, but Marshall Ulrich did both in the same weekend. Only person to have done it, I believe.

Leadville actually goes from Saturday 4am to Sunday 10am. 30 hour limit, not a 24 hour limit. (you'd obviously have to finish it a lot faster though, to get to the PPM start in time)