Quandary Christo Culiour and North Star Mountain Beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Quandary Christo Culiour and North Star Mountain Beta

Post by kaiman »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for current conditions on these routes from folks that have climbed them in the last week or so. I am hoping to climb either/both of them later this week, and was wondering how consolidated the snow is (for snowshoe/cramponing). Also how much precipitation did Breckenridge receive from the last storm cycle?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
COBuckeye
14ers: 34  7  1 
13ers: 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Quandary Christo Culiour and North Star Mountain Beta

Post by COBuckeye »

"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

COBuckeye wrote:Recent Cristo ski decent
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9751
Thanks for the link to the report. Did you guys actually climb the culiour or just summit via the standard route? Looking at your video it seems like the snow underneath is fairly firm and settled out then?

Thanks,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
COBuckeye
14ers: 34  7  1 
13ers: 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by COBuckeye »

sorry, I was not part of the group, I was just pointing out some recent info. Maybe try to PM the user who wrote the trip report.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

COBuckeye wrote:sorry, I was not part of the group, I was just pointing out some recent info. Maybe try to PM the user who wrote the trip report.
Okay thanks. Anyone else been on either of these routes lately?

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

kaiman wrote:Okay thanks. Anyone else been on either of these routes lately?
I'm planning to head up North Star on Saturday. Not sure if that'll be too late for you, but I'll be pointing the camera in the direction of Cristo along the way.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Peakjumper
14ers: 6 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Anyone up in the vicinity within the last couple days? Any pics or current conditions. The weather report is not looking promising for the next couple days.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

I just added a shot from earlier today of the Cristo Couloir to the Quandary conditions page. Can't speak to the snowpack there though.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... recnum=188
Peakjumper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Sweet thanks for the pic, a friend and I are heading up tomorrow but with up to a foot possible and strong winds (40+) gusts possible might just play around in to lower areas but you never know :-k
JonW
14ers: 14 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonW »

I'm planning on hiking Quandary this weekend for some exercise. Any idea if Cristo Couloir is climbable? I know it's been skied, but I don't want to wallow up thing if it's not in good shape for climbing.

Thanks.
Peakjumper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Not sure how much snow there was in that area this last storm seemed to be trending North with the heaviest amounts, But there may have been quite a bit of snow there. Check out some weather and CAIC.