Did San Juans Get Snow Last Night?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
COTrekker02
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Did San Juans Get Snow Last Night?

Post by COTrekker02 »

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the zone received more snow throughout yesterday/last night. CAIC is reporting 8-15" across the zone, but I don't think the Lake City area received that much snow. Hoping to hit a few peaks west of Lake City tomorrow/Sun, so will be sure to post what we found upon our return.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Not much additional snow - about an inch. In fact the snow in town is well on its way of completely melting even though it was 17 degrees this morning. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be significantly warmer which will quickly make the new snow up high more stable. I think that the recent new snow up high is not more than a foot, but I should mention that it was windy during this last storm, which loads the gullies and low spots, and makes slabs in certain areas. The general snowpack beneath the new snow is fairly stable, so you should be fine if you stay on safe terrain. Just stay out of wind loaded areas and use your head. No change in trailhead status for any of the trailheads. What peak(s) are you thinking of doing?
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Mountainjam and I will be hitting up Sun/Red tomorrow from Mill Creek TH. COTrekker02...see you up there???
mountainjam
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 124 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by mountainjam »

PKelley wrote:Not much additional snow - about an inch. In fact the snow in town is well on its way of completely melting even though it was 17 degrees this morning. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be significantly warmer which will quickly make the new snow up high more stable. I think that the recent new snow up high is not more than a foot, but I should mention that it was windy during this last storm, which loads the gullies and low spots, and makes slabs in certain areas. The general snowpack beneath the new snow is fairly stable, so you should be fine if you stay on safe terrain. Just stay out of wind loaded areas and use your head. No change in trailhead status for any of the trailheads. What peak(s) are you thinking of doing?
Thank you PKelley for the update! As my friend Craigo just posted we will be attempting Sunshine and Redcloud from Mill Creek Campground in the morning.
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

mountainjam wrote:
PKelley wrote:Not much additional snow - about an inch. In fact the snow in town is well on its way of completely melting even though it was 17 degrees this morning. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be significantly warmer which will quickly make the new snow up high more stable. I think that the recent new snow up high is not more than a foot, but I should mention that it was windy during this last storm, which loads the gullies and low spots, and makes slabs in certain areas. The general snowpack beneath the new snow is fairly stable, so you should be fine if you stay on safe terrain. Just stay out of wind loaded areas and use your head. No change in trailhead status for any of the trailheads. What peak(s) are you thinking of doing?
Thank you PKelley for the update! As my friend Craigo just posted we will be attempting Sunshine and Redcloud from Mill Creek Campground in the morning.
You guys won't have any issues then, at least I doubt it. Anna posted a TR on that route a couple of weeks ago, and I was on the Pts next door later the same week.
Have a good trip!
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

You should be fine then, as that aspect of the mountain holds little to no snow this time of year until you get up higher. The trail starts next to the phone box on the north side of the road almost perfectly across CR 30 from the Mill Creek Campground bridge. I would give you more details, but have not been out there and am too busy working today to go look for you.

Best,

PK
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
mountainjam
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 124 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by mountainjam »

PKelley wrote:I would give you more details, but have not been out there and am too busy working today to go look for you.

Best,

PK
No problem at all, thanks again for the info!
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews
COTrekker02
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COTrekker02 »

Craigo - yes, we're planning Sunshine/Redcloud from Mill Ck tomorrow morn. Not much snow to contend with on that route as we'll gain Sunshine's E. Ridge fairly soon after treeline and remain on ridge all the way to Redcloud. Considered skiing but I don't see any worthwhile lines back down to Mill Ck. and we don't want to schlepp down the shelf road from Silver Gulch...

Hoping for a ski of Uncompaghre on Sunday. See you at some point up there!
Manky
14ers: 57  21  4 
13ers: 38 8 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Manky »

COTrekker02 wrote:Craigo - yes, we're planning Sunshine/Redcloud from Mill Ck tomorrow morn. Not much snow to contend with on that route as we'll gain Sunshine's E. Ridge fairly soon after treeline and remain on ridge all the way to Redcloud. Considered skiing but I don't see any worthwhile lines back down to Mill Ck. and we don't want to schlepp down the shelf road from Silver Gulch...

Hoping for a ski of Uncompaghre on Sunday. See you at some point up there!
:-#

Sounds like you guys have the exact same weekend plans as us, except we are trying to ski Uncompahgre tomorrow and Sunshine ski on Sunday. Have an awesome weekend and maybe we will see you out there!
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...
CRAIGO
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Just curious who the 2 hikers were on Sunshine's summit on Saturday. COTrekker02, Manky, or both? Sorry we missed running into you by just a few minutes. Brutally steep "trail," eh???
COTrekker02
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COTrekker02 »

Craigo - that was myself and my buddy. We waved at you guys from above a couple times as you passed underneath us, but I don't think you saw. I got some cool pics of you guys on the ridge between Redcloud and Sunshine, so if you want, PM me and I will get you those pics.

We got a "brunch" start instead of an alpine start, not leaving the TH until 9:15, but still had a great climb of Sunshine. The bottom portion of the trail was super steep, but the worst part was post-holing below treeline around 5 pm in the afternoon... Ran into some hug bighorn rams in the aspens around 11k, which was cool. Hope you guys had a good climb.
CRAIGO
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

COTrekker02 wrote:Craigo - that was myself and my buddy. We waved at you guys from above a couple times as you passed underneath us, but I don't think you saw. I got some cool pics of you guys on the ridge between Redcloud and Sunshine, so if you want, PM me and I will get you those pics.

We got a "brunch" start instead of an alpine start, not leaving the TH until 9:15, but still had a great climb of Sunshine. The bottom portion of the trail was super steep, but the worst part was post-holing below treeline around 5 pm in the afternoon... Ran into some hug bighorn rams in the aspens around 11k, which was cool. Hope you guys had a good climb.
Thanks a lot for the pics!