Conditions on Missouri or Shavano

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jimmtman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Conditions on Missouri or Shavano

Post by jimmtman »

Was thinking about a 14er tomorrow. Missouri or Shavano are possibilities. Has anyone been to Missouri recently and know where the snow closure is? On Shavano a trip report from a few days ago mentions clear road to the summer TH provided you can get past 1 snowbank on the road. Has anyone been there and can provide an update?

Thanks!

Jim
COTrekker02
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Missouri or Shavano

Post by COTrekker02 »

I may attempt Missouri as well, either Sat or Sun, so any feedback would be appreciated. I am also interested in knowing how much snow fell in the Collegiates over the past 48 hours...I'm thinking up to one foot is possible based on the CAIC report from Wednesday evening...
kenny
14ers: 39  7  4 
13ers: 22 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kenny »

I'm also thinking of Missouri on Sunday. See you out there. There should be plenty of snow! Visibility could be a problem.
jimmtman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by jimmtman »

Thanks Dex.

I decided not to go today since my back is a little sore. It wasn't a great day weather wise so ok to stay home. I'm flexible so can go when the weather looks best. I'll probably try to go sometime in early May.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Will be interested in Shavano (Angel couloir) next Saturday, April 30th, if weather permits.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

The Shavano summertime trailhead (Blanks Cabin?) was accessible at the end of the day on Saturday, 4/23. Four new inches of powder on the trail but it is firm to the talus field.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I can come with you on Sat April 30th. Where are you leaving from.
I'm in Golden
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"