Capital Peak Difficulty

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Capital Peak Difficulty

Post by kansas »

tylermacguire wrote:Does anybody know if anyone has ever actually fallen from the knife edge? I have never been up there but, I am curious how much potential danger there is versus "realized" danger.
Yes.

http://listsofjohn.com/Accidents/Capitol.html
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
idance7
14ers: 38 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by idance7 »

Are you from out of state? Either way it sounds awesome but it would help with acclimatization. Have a good trip
I lift my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth! He will not let your foot slip; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Psalm 121:1-3
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I wonder how often the master list is updated. The most recent year I can find is 2009 and I couldn't find any of last year's deaths listed.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

kansas wrote:
tylermacguire wrote:Does anybody know if anyone has ever actually fallen from the knife edge? I have never been up there but, I am curious how much potential danger there is versus "realized" danger.
Yes.

http://listsofjohn.com/Accidents/Capitol.html
The lightning strike/death in April is an interesting one to hear about.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Don't forget this one

I really should go back and re-shoot that with HD video.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Don't forget this one

Was that shot with a fish eye lens? The knife edge looks way more intense in that video than in person, from what I remember.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yes, that was a 8mm lens on a helmet cam. Most helmet cams use a very wide-angle lens. Still gives an idea of the climbing moves required. That vid was me walking across the knife, not butt-scooting.

Other vids are on the Capitol route page.
Rastaman566
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rastaman566 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Don't forget this one

Holy $#%@
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

tmathews wrote:
I wonder how often the master list is updated. The most recent year I can find is 2009 and I couldn't find any of last year's deaths listed.
My goal is to keep track of the deaths 2010 and forward. Just so you know Terry. Let me know if you want a link.
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Yes, that was a 8mm lens on a helmet cam. Most helmet cams use a very wide-angle lens. Still gives an idea of the climbing moves required. That vid was me walking across the knife, not butt-scooting.

Other vids are on the Capitol route page.
With all due respect, Bill ... that's just insane. After going across the knife edge a few times with 3 or 4 points on the rock at all times, I now know that doing a Phillippe Petit across that thing requires brass huevos of the magnitude I'll never possess. :shock:
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

bradyj wrote:I found the knife edge actually disappointing because people hyped it up SO much.
A lot of things are like that. Ha ha ha.
imtheguy247
Trip Reports (0)

Post by imtheguy247 »

Haha ya. Knife edge is scary to me. I like to pretend i'm at the Cornice-Traverse. Helps me overcome the massive exposure.