Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Post by Mountainspirit »

Grace & Peace to family, friends, and all involved.
RIP Sean
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
BigDan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BigDan »

My condolences to Sean's friends and family, such a terrible loss. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

My condolences to the family and friends of Sean. Very sorry to hear of your loss.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

Oh man.. I am sincerely sorry for everyone that knew Sean, family and friends, sorry to hear to of this loss.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

I am sorry to hear this. RIP Sean.

This community makes us all feel like we know eachother and when something happens to one, it affects us all. I am thankful knowing there are so many people more experienced than I who will help guide me through inexperience.

My thoughts with Sean's friends and family.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Wundermarmot
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wundermarmot »

Condolences to Sean's family and friends. RIP Sean.......
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

My condolences to his family and friends. I am very sorry to hear of your (and our) loss.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

This tragedy hits close to home as I have experienced a similar situation where rock unexpectedly gave way... luckily I was able to avoid it, but I can completely see how this incident happened. It can happen when you least expect it, be careful out there guys! Rest in peace Sean... and my sincerest condolences to his friends and family.
shotgung
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by shotgung »

Thoughts and prayers are with the family. So sorry for your loss.
A project is complete when it starts working for you, rather than you working for it
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

What a tremendously tragic loss. My heart aches for his family and friends. Sincere condolences to all of them.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

wildlobo71 wrote:Sorry, but I don't buy this movie-script sort of "epic way to die" that so many people want to believe would be their preferred way to go, if they could control the way the accidentally die. That's why it's an accident, and I doubt there was a feeling of nobleness for Sean.
Not to turn this thread into a pissing match, but what do you care of the way people see themselves going out? Who are you to comment on how someone might see their own passing?

Condolences to the family. I will echo previous posters. I admire in many respects a man that died doing what he loved. I, personally, would rather die from a falling boulder than stuck in a bed dying slowly ...

I am young and I am sure that has a lot to do with it, but in my experiences chasing summits, I feel I have a different - and important to note that not necessarily a *better* - sense of life than most that do not and I find that that realization is a gift I can share unto others.

Congratulations to Sean on a life well-lived!

p.s. If there is one thing I dislike about message boards, it's having to create caveats for just about everything you say.
Go get it
alexhenes
14ers: 58  18  5 
13ers: 720 60 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

I am feeling pretty bummed about this. I was just looking through some of Sean's pictures and realized that I shared the summits of Sunlight and Windom with him last September. Sean was solo and I was with my wife Kristi. Sean was a super nice guy... he had an adventurous spirit... and was real pleasure to be with. He took pictures of us and we and we took pictures of him. Chicago Basin is a very special place... as is Snowmass Mountain. The connection we feel with people that we share these experiences with can be strong... even when we don't know each other. The collection of adventures that are documented on Sean's website is quite impressive... the guy obviously had a serious passion for life and adventure. It is that passion that can bond us together... and it is deeply sad to see one of us go. Sean... I hope your adventurous spirit lives and you are climbing all of the peaks you ever dreamed to climb. Below is a picture I took of Sean on the summit of Windom... September 3rd 2010.
chicago-basin-158a.jpg
chicago-basin-158a.jpg (142.84 KiB) Viewed 5368 times