Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Seans_Uncle
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Post by Seans_Uncle »

First of all, thanks to all of you who were with Sean in his last minutes on this earth. Your kindness and efforts to keep Sean alive are deeply appreciated. Thanks as well for all of your condolences, thoughts and prayers to Sean's family.

Some of you knew Sean, but most of you did not. I wanted you to know that his death doesn't just represent some obscure person who happened to die on a mountain doing something he dearly loved but that he was also part of a large, loving family who deeply cared for this young man. Sean leaves behind a mom(my sister) and dad, a younger brother and two younger sisters. All of them are incredibly saddened by his death. He also leaves behind his paternal grandparents, maternal grandmother, and six pairs of aunts and uncles, along with 17 cousins. He lost a 6yr old cousin to Huntington's Disease 3 years ago. His entire family is still in shock and we will all miss Sean so very much!

Sean's mom and dad are currently in Grand Junction to arrange for his body to be flown to the family home in Centralia, WA. They are also headed to Denver to collect his belongings from the townhouse he moved into only two weeks ago. He recently changed jobs from Alburquerque to Denver and was so excited for his new career opportunity in Denver but I think most of all, to be able to closer to the Colorado Rockies and the new climbing adventures to come.

Finally, I am not a member of your "club", but have only lived this life vicariously through Sean and his many amazing adventures and photos. It is obvious that he was part a community much bigger than all of us ever new and we appreciate all your kind words, thoughts and prayers. May God protect all of you in this awesome, fantastic voyage we are all a part of.

If any of you have other thoughts or comments you would like to share, please feel free to email me at 101mmccarty@comcast.net.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

RIP. I'm so sorry.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

RIP
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
TheKanes
14ers: 48  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (17)

Post by TheKanes »

Thank you Sean's Uncle for sharing with our community a little bit more about Sean's life and family. There really is a sense of camaraderie amongst most of us, and our hearts go out to your family. It must be so tough to lose such a great spirited young guy with so much to give this world.

Somehow, I do understand what a few of you were trying to communicate. We take risks in this sport because we love feeling alive in the mountains. For us, this is truly living! Even when we're cautious and bring all the right gear, things happen, like they do in life. It's a tragedy nonetheless when a life is cut short. While I didn't get to know Sean personally, I still respect the life he lived tremendously.

May your family find some peace in this most difficult time.
You never conquer a mountain.
You stand on the summit a few moments,
Then the wind blows your footprints away.
~Arlene Blum
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Good article about Sean from the Aspen Daily News: http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/148192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Someone who knew him should start a topic in the 14ers.com Memorial Forum.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Extremely sad story.. Condolences to Sean's friends and family..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

It really make you think about your life, family, and friends when somthing like this happens. I climbed Snomass friday and had a spill closer to the lake that opened my eyes as I "Walked" away. I pray for peace for your family and that Sean is running the mountain tops in heaven. Looking at his pictures you can see he loved what he did. Awesome life!
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Somehow the "Objective" hazard accidents are just harder to accept.

RIP Sean
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

jimlup wrote:Somehow the "Objective" hazard accidents are just harder to accept.

RIP Sean
So true. There is a tendency for the mountaineering community to look at accidents and say "well, that would never happen to me because I am smarter/better/stronger/whatever than that guy was." When someone loses their life and the community can't find a reason other than this person was just in the wrong place at the wrong time there is a wake up call - YOU really could die doing this. Truth is we are all capable of being in the wrong place at the wrong time OR having a lapse of judgement/off day/weak day/whatever and none of us are so good we can assume it will never happen. Sean is lucky that in his accident there is no Monday Morning Quarterbacking or second guessing his actions.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
B_2
14ers: 57  1  3 
13ers: 305 17 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B_2 »

Heartbreaking. I was really hoping for good news when I logged on. Condolences, thoughts and prayers for Sean and to his family.
Sleep?! Sleep when you're dead...
Update: I wrote that in 2008. Now I really love sleep - like, a lot.
halestorm
14ers: 45 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by halestorm »

Very sad and humbling news. Thought, prayers, and condolenses to those affected by this tragedy.

Scott