Camping at Capitol Creek and West Snowmass Trailheads?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Camping at Capitol Creek and West Snowmass Trailheads?

Post by Scott P »

Does anyone know if camping at the Capitol Creek or West Snowmass Creek Trailheads is legal or if there are any good car campsites there? I need the information for the new SP page (old maintainter is gone). I want to make sure the information on the SP page is 100% accurate.

I've been to Capitol Creek twice, but the first time was when everything was still snow covered and the second time we drove from here in the morning. I've only been to West Snowmass in winter.

Thanks.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Camping at Capitol Creek and West Snowmass Trailheads?

Post by JTOlson26 »

From what i can remember of the Snowmass Creek trailhead, the parking area and the first mile or so has no good camping. I think most of the first couple of miles is on private property. Once you cross the creek for the first time, there is a huge meadow (and at the end is where any significant elevation gain really begins) which would be conducive for camping, but i am not sure if this is still on private property, thus i'm not sure if it is legal. In short, i don't remember any really good spots to camp right at the trailhead or close to it. That was a few years ago, so someone please correct me if i am mistaken.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I camped at both trailheads last summer. At Snowmass it's probably not "officially" allowed but I've stayed in the back of my vehicle more than once with no problems. At Capitol I set up a cot and even had a campfire and nobody said a word. I suspect it's not an "official" camping area either but nobody seemed to care.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Thank you for the information.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

Are there any updates in the past couple of years regarding trailhead camping at Capitol and Snowmass creeks? Hoping to revisit the Elks this weekend.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Bumping this thread in hopes of getting updated info on camping at the Capitol Creek trailhead.
Will not be headed there until summer 2015, but am trying to plan an itinerary for my last 6 14ers.
Capitol and N. Maroon are the 2 remaining peaks in the Elks.
Will likely want to spend the nite at the Capitol Creek trailhead before backpacking the 6 or so miles into Capitol Lake.
Any and all insights welcomed and appreciated.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Three summers ago I saw a few tents just before the parking area on the south side of the road. Two summers ago I saw some tents to the north of the parking area close to the ditch trailhead. I don't remember any signs that said no camping.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

You can camp at either and it should be allowed forever unless a crazy person takes over the forest service! You should bring your own water to the Capitol trailhead unless you want to filter water out of a ditch full of cow excrement.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Gene913
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

cheeseburglar wrote:You should bring your own water to the Capitol trailhead.
Good call. #-o

Thanks to both of you for the info. Much appreciated.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

When we were at Capitol Creek in September, there were lots of hunters camped at and before the TH. The road gets steeper and rougher about half a mile before the end, in case you don't have a high-clearance vehicle. If you can't drive to the end, you might be able to park at the horse-trailer lot mentioned in the TH description. The road is great up to the last mile, probably due to the expensive houses there.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Gene913
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Jim Davies wrote:When we were at Capitol Creek in September, there were lots of hunters camped at and before the TH.
Good to know. Thank you.

Will most likely arrive at the TH after either a long drive from KC or after hiking out from Crater Lake. Spending the nite at the TH makes sense either way.