Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FKT on Capitol?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: FKT on Capitol?

Postby nkan02 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I saw him on Torreys this past July. Jesus-look alike :)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Trail running a 14er is one thing. But this is the Capitol record that has always garnered my respect.

Capitol Triathlon biking / hiking / climbing
Neal Beidleman and Kevin Cooney 11h
-summer '95 Aspen to Aspen via mt. bikes, hiking and up the Northwest Face (IV 5.9). Unsupported - carried all gear the entire way. Used an 8mm rope and a small rack.

Good thing Neal was so fit because we know what he had to do nine months later.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 pm

I forget where I read it, but there was a "Puget Sound to Rainier summit and back" time posted that was pretty darn fast.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm

pvnisher wrote:I forget where I read it, but there was a "Puget Sound to Rainier summit and back" time posted that was pretty darn fast.

http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/2008/07/another-record-puget-sound-to-summit-in.html

Quite a day. Just under 20h.

I think the Rainier speed record still stands at 4:49:35. The ascent was at a pace of about 2,500ft an hour. Fast, but when you keep that up for 9,000ft it is amazing.

For those that speed climb 13ers and 14ers, 2,000 vert an hour is enough to make most fit mortals want to puke on the summit.
Last edited by RoanMtnMan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby justiner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see it mentioned in the posts before.

nkan02 wrote:I saw him on Torreys this past July. Jesus-look alike :)

Just looks like Anton.

http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/

From following his blogs, he's moved from focusing primarily on the Leadville 100, to more, uh, "technical" runs. That could mean doing all 5 flatirons, while running up Green Mountain, or gridding Longs Peak.

Kieners route.

Or doing more Euro-style mountain races, for example.

He can get away with what's basically beyond what most people think of UL, since he's so damn fast. Storm coming in? Just fly down to safer places.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby doggler » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Tony is a super fast dude, as well as a super cool guy.

For anyone who is interested, it's pretty cool to take a closer look at his Leadville splits. He still wasn't 100%, and some other world-class ultra guys pulled away from him in the first 40. He gobbled them all up on the Hope Pass double-cross and put some major time in all of them...but they caught him again. Not enough vert for him to exploit his advantage.

I'd love to see him go after something like Nolan's. He has the potential to obliterate the current FKT.

Previous