Current Conditions on Longs....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Current Conditions on Longs....

Post by broncotw »

Thanks pbakwin....
Ted from TEXAS!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

illusion7il wrote: 5. could be 3 feet of fresh snow
Since I'll be trying to drive across Nebraska sometime around then, this is my prediction.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Looks like some fresh snow today on the Longs Peak cam at RMNP. http://www.nps.gov/romo/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Trail ridge road closed temporarily today.
Almost no snow when I drove it Sunday.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

There's ice on the left side of the loft. As of now it doesn't affect the climb as you can still keep it to class 3 by staying right, but it'd be a good idea to see if the ice sheet expands in width; you'll have a problem if it does.
Attachments
133681_10103343135456634_623107963_o.jpg
133681_10103343135456634_623107963_o.jpg (211.08 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
thespoonybard
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thespoonybard »

I'm trying to keep an eye on conditions as well (from out of state). I was hoping to start climbing EARLY Saturday after the potential for "nasty" weather passes through. And those plans, my friends, are going to be dertermined by what kind of "nasty" weather was observed last night and what might be observed over the next 24hrs.

Any updates and new beta is absolutely WELCOMED! Also, PM me if anyone is interested in tagging along, it is definately more fun going with the 14ers crowd. Thanks in advance for the BETA. Cheers.
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"
unclegar
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Current conditions on Meeker - Longs 092712

Loft in the middle of the pic.
Meeker-Longs 092712 dnsz.jpg
Meeker-Longs 092712 dnsz.jpg (134.54 KiB) Viewed 722 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Any up close pictures of the East Face since the storm? :-D
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

unclegar wrote:Current conditions on Meeker - Longs 092712

Loft in the middle of the pic.
Meeker-Longs 092712 dnsz.jpg
Well, that was quick! Well done, Long's! Looking sexy for those of us who find the blue ice and white snow more fun than the loose scary scree.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

What do you 14er friends think? Axe and crampons OR microspikes and poles? or both? I am think a lot will melting will occur, below 13.5K today, but what the hell do I know. not much... not much... :oops:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
unclegar
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

jmanner wrote:What do you 14er friends think? Axe and crampons OR microspikes and poles? or both? I am think a lot will melting will occur, below 13.5K today, but what the hell do I know. not much... not much... :oops:
I doubt an ax would buy you much purchase. I'd go with the microspikes and poles. JMHO.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'd bring poles, an ax and microspikes. Ice tends to form in the Trough. I was very happy to have an ax for that section around this time last year.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper