Lincoln/Bross route question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Lincoln/Bross route question

Post by CarpeDM »

Okay, don't laugh at me (well, sure, go ahead, who cares?): it looks like I'll be re-visiting Lincoln and Bross (minus the summit proper, of course) to accompany a somewhat new 14er peakbagger. I haven't paid much attention to the access discussion for a while, so I've got a couple of questions.

First, the background: The last post of the official thread gives the impression that only the trail loop from Kite Lake is open. (BTW, has it really been 2.5 years since this re-opened?!) But Bill's route pages still include other routes. In particular, the default map for the combo includes the route from Mineral Park. I have a slight preference for going up that route for a couple of reasons.

Q1: Have the other traditional routes up these peaks been re-opened since the official thread's last post? Or is the route from Kite Lake the only officially open route?
Q2: Is South Bross closed? (Hey, if I gotta go up there again, may as well, right?)

Thanks!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Lincoln/Bross route question

Post by fahixson »

I did these two from Montgomery Reservoir earlier this year. I saw a couple cars/people coming from the Quartzville Site. Everyone else I ran into that day was coming from Kite Lake. Doesn't really answer your questions, but gives you some other THs to think about.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It's still as closed as it ever was, meaning that every route but Kite Lake is "closed". Of course, some of us still wonder who has the authority to "close" a mix of public land and private property with unknown owners, but nothing has changed.
http://www.14ers.org/peaks/mosquito-range/mount-bross/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Appreciate the responses. I think we'll most likely go from Kite Lake after all.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

I went in from Kite Lake the other day. Nice hike on that entire ridge, but the route down Bross is pretty steep. I would imagine it's tough in the snow/ice if any is up there.

On a side note, here was our view from the summit.

IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5611.JPG (315.45 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

There was a Jeep up there? I remember the photo of the stuck Silverado from ~ year ago...
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Last weekend there was a jeep at the saddle between Bross and Cameron, with a dude camped out in his tent right next to it. The road up there from the North side looked decent enough, at least from the saddle.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
treedonkey
14ers: 13  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by treedonkey »

When I hiked D,L,Br there was a gas station on the way up there via hwy 24 --> hwy 9 that had good fresh hamburgers. I can't find it online at all. I think it was between Fairplay and Alma but i could be wrong. Can someone help me out???

Update: I found out... it's Mountain Burgers in Florissant. (at the Conoco station)
Last edited by treedonkey on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Jim Davies is correct. Kite Lake is still the only legal route to Democrat, Cameron & Lincoln. Bross summit remains "officially" closed. All property owners, however, are well known to the team that's been working this access issue for years, other than all the fractional owners on the two Bross summit claims. As Jim points out, it is a mix of private and public property. Problem is that one has to cross the private property to access public land.

Wonder how the jeep was able to get up there, from an access perspective. The road lower down does go through private property and it's been gated. In recent years, and I think also this year, jeepers cut the locks on the gate so they could have their "fun."
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

Any word on the status of Bross for the 2013 season. Or the Kite Lake route for that matter, will it remain open?
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Last edited by Scott P on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

That's not a very practical option, given that all four summits are on private property. My understanding of the "deal" with the Lincoln owner is that summit access is allowed only if you stay on route.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump