Sawatch Range Snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bhollamby
14ers: 23  9 
13ers: 2 1
Trip Reports (3)

Sawatch Range Snow?

Post by bhollamby »

Finally getting some time to get out again...Looking to climb Monday or Tuesday (10/29-10/30). Thinking about heading to the Sawatch for Shavano/Tabeguache or Harvard/Columbia.

Anyone have information on the conditions (snow) of these or the surrounding areas?
We are Not Heroes.
I am Not a Legend.
My Passion begins and end in Anonymity.
No one is Ever going to ask for My Signature.
These Efforts won’t earn me a Paycheck.
Our greatest Achievements will be Witnessed by few.
But the reward is Obvious.
------------
Rise up.
Murder the Impossible.
Become Legend.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sawatch Range Snow?

Post by GeezerClimber »

There is not much snow on the Collegiates. Clear and cold today.

Dave
bhollamby
14ers: 23  9 
13ers: 2 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by bhollamby »

I climbed Shavano and Tabeguache on 11/5/12. They were clear and I couldn't see anything that had enough snow on them to even begin to worry.
Looking at the weather though it might of been the last weekend of this clear weather...winter is coming \:D/
We are Not Heroes.
I am Not a Legend.
My Passion begins and end in Anonymity.
No one is Ever going to ask for My Signature.
These Efforts won’t earn me a Paycheck.
Our greatest Achievements will be Witnessed by few.
But the reward is Obvious.
------------
Rise up.
Murder the Impossible.
Become Legend.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Interested in Shavano & Tabequache Conditions. Has anyone climbed these recently and have an update? Also interested in the status of the road - specifically, can my Ford Focus still drive to the TH?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Mindy
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Nov 26, 2012 SNOTEL is 44% normal snowpack for state, 30% for Sawatch (Ark valley).
Evans is gray again.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Roads are dry and mountains are mostly dry except for some north facing slopes that have some snow and provide a good descent. Was high up by Princeton on Sunday. Got a good look at Shav and Tab, pretty dry.

I would take gaitors for the slopes I just mentioned and some places in the trees warrented them.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Mindy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Thanks FireOnTheMountain! Appreciated.
DoubelDD
14ers: 16  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DoubelDD »

I just did Antero and could see Tab and Shav, it's like summer up there, see my TR with some photos of Tab and Shav. Crazy dry, I wore my softshell paints and winter boots, I should have wore trail runners and hiking pants
Big hitter, the Lama
Mindy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

I have Shavano & Tabequache calendared for 12/28, and am interested in Conditions. Has anyone climbed these recently and have an update? Also interested in the status of the road - specifically, can my Ford Focus still drive to the TH?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Mindy
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

On 12/13 Furthermore posted this TH update: http://14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=2990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Much snow has fallen since then and more is forecast to fall this week. My guess is it would be not accessible, even with 4WD. That is, unless a bunch of people go up there and smooth out the snow or plow it.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Mindy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Thanks Furthermore and Geojed.... I have not even seen that page before on this site! So much info here.... love it!
Mindy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Interested now in Jennings Creek route.... TH, etc. If anyone has any information about that route and TH that would be great. Thanks again everyone!

Mindy