Camping on/near Summit of Pikes Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Camping on/near Summit of Pikes Peak?

Post by carson_h »

Are there any reasonably flat and smooth areas to camp near the summit of Pikes Peak?

Something out of site of the Summit House would be nice; however, my recollection is that summit is mostly a large pile of boulder unless you're in the parking lot...

thanks!

-Carson
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Camping on/near Summit of Pikes Peak?

Post by Bean »

There is lots of flat dirt up there.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Cars can't stay up there overnight, so that leaves hiking up the Barr Trail or Crags, mostly. The nearest good camping on the Barr Trail is at the A-Frame, which is at timberline about three miles below the summit. You could camp above timberline on the Crags route, but there's no water, and the nearest flat ground that isn't bouldery, or next to the road, along that trail is at least a mile from the summit. The nearest camping on the Crags trail that has anything like a stream nearby is about 5 miles from the summit.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

carson_h wrote:Are there any reasonably flat and smooth areas to camp near the summit of Pikes Peak?

Something out of site of the Summit House would be nice; however, my recollection is that summit is mostly a large pile of boulder unless you're in the parking lot...

thanks!

-Carson
Its tough to be out of sight anywhere near the summit. The road goes up the milder slopes above devil's playground and you will be seen anywhere near the road. The other slopes off the summit are really steep and cliffy. The parking lot is nice but almost everywhere above treeline is full of rocks. I guess past devil's playground on the Crag's trail (back down) you can find a few spots. Its very exposed up there but you can find a spot away from the road for sure. But thats quite a ways from the summit block.