Advice on first winter 14er summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JameyEdge77
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (2)

Advice on first winter 14er summit

Post by JameyEdge77 »

I travel to Colorado often for work from the midwest and each time try to fit in a hike or climb. I've done a few of the easy 14ers and will be back in Denver on 11/13 through 11/16. I am hoping to do my first winter climb. I would appreciate any advice on peaks to consider that can be tackled in a full day of hiking.

Thanks!
Jamey
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Advice on first winter 14er summit

Post by zdero1 »

What are you looking to get out of the experience? Expanding on that may yield better recommendations.

I plan on making my first calendar winter ascents this year and the way I am approaching the decision about which peaks to climb is simple: easiest to hardest. I want to get used to the harsh conditions in an environment that is familiar and on a route that would be considered a fairly quick day hike in summer conditions. My goals for this winter include ascents of Bierstadt, Sherman, Humboldt East Ridge.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Calendar winter ascent
First Day of Winter 2012 - December 21
First day of spring 2013 - March 20
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Quandary usually has the best combination of plowed trailhead access, low avalanche danger, and relatively short route.

If we're lucky, there will be a big snowstorm next weekend, so plan accordingly.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Jim Davies wrote:Quandary usually has the best combination of plowed trailhead access, low avalanche danger, and
Totally agree with Quandary being a good first winter 14er for reasons Jim states above.
Jim Davies wrote:If we're lucky, there will be a big snowstorm next weekend, so plan accordingly.
Please let this be true!!! \:D/
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Doest it HAVE to be a 14er? If so the Quandry is great if the weather is reasonably clear and the wind is not too bad. That area is usually quite windy and since the trail is mostly on a ridge above treeline your are quite exposed for a while but if winds are 30mph and lower its not too bad.

You might need snowshoes for below treeline and micro spikes for the ridge proper if the area gets a lot of snow but its usually doable year round.
JameyEdge77
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by JameyEdge77 »

Thanks for advice. Yes, I am looking to do a 14er close to Denver. I did Quandary last month. I am thinking of trying Bierstadt if the weather cooperates. From what I've seen on the forum this might be the best best for this time of year. Advice from y'all that's reach summit of Bierstadt this time of year is much appreciated.
Thanks
Jamey
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Guanella Pass may or may not be open, depending on how the storm goes. You could hike Grays and Torreys from I-70, which adds 3 miles each way but is still in range if you're up for a long hike. Gratz now seems to be predicting 4-8 inches of snow for that area this weekend, which should be OK for hiking but tough for driving if the road's not plowed.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I advise picking a day when it isn't windy.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
michaelgrundy
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 49 2
Trip Reports (21)

Post by michaelgrundy »

Definitely carry your water in wide mouth Nalgene bottles. Hydration systems freeze (even with the insulation) so make sure to have bottles of water!
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

mgrundy wrote:Definitely carry your water in wide mouth Nalgene bottles. Hydration systems freeze (even with the insulation) so make sure to have bottles of water!
I was taught something last weekend on Flora, thanks to farcedude. Make sure to turn your water bottles upside down. My water bottle, that was on the outside of my pack, was frozen at the top only and I couldn't drink out of it. Thanks Greg. :)
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Mindy wrote:I was taught something last weekend on Flora, thanks to farcedude. Make sure to turn your water bottles upside down. My water bottle, that was on the outside of my pack, was frozen at the top only and I couldn't drink out of it. Thanks Greg. :)
That is a great tip, Mindy. A couple of corollary tips:
*Give your water bottle an extra firm twist to confirm it is tightly sealed before putting it away, upside down. The consequences of a leaking water bottle are much higher in winter
*Carry your water bottles inside your pack unless you have bottle insulators. Your body transfers some heat to your pack to help keep water bottles liquid.